Floodzone Jetpack

This is dedicated to all the mods the community wants to share!
Patches only people. No Map files.
CaptainPoopface

Floodzone Jetpack

Post by CaptainPoopface »

This is a very small mod for the campaign map 06b_floodzone, where you play the Arbiter in the snow vs. the sentinels and flood. I just wanted to show off my version of the jetpack. 8-)

Push left thumbstick (crouch) to give yourself a quick thrust upward. Push it repeatedly to rise higher / faster. It's easier to take off if you jump and then crouch while you are rising. Once you're in the air, just the occasional well-timed crouch will keep you there. With this jetpack method, you have full ability to use grenades and guns while flying around, and normal running around and jumping are unaffected. It takes a little bit of practice to get used to it.

I recommend setting the camera to 3P, turn off the HUD, give yourself infinite ammo and grenades, and see how far you get. Note that I swapped the jetpack effect with an attached shield effect, so for some reason, if your shields go all the way down, your jetpack will no longer work. It's a downside of using a biped attachment, not hard to work around, but that's for later.

Also note that there's something in the campaign mode that automatically kills you if you fall for a certain time, regardless of whether you touch the ground or aren't near a deathzone. So if you zoom to the top of the map, be sure to slow your descent periodically. Kind of like the bends.

Feel free to use this in your own mods, but always give credit where it is due.
Attachments
06b_floodzone_jetpack2.sppf
(294 Bytes) Downloaded 336 times
XZodia
Staff

Re: Floodzone Jetpack

Post by XZodia »

Your genius never ceases to amaze me.
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

This sounds awesome! :D
Remnant! We were the last stand.
JuicemansStoned

Post by JuicemansStoned »

sorry for the huge bump but say i wanted to use this in my mod, i was thinking of using a gun and remodeling it and making the jetpack from halo reach but this sounds so much more legit and i wanted to know where to extract this from using entity?

wow nvm the files not even there :XP:
thanks for the help fellas :cry:
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

I'm not sure why the file no longer exists. Does anyone here still have it?

This jetpack was an effect I attached to the biped, but you could easily attach it to a weapon. The idea was to allow you to fly while keeping full control over weapons/grenades/aim. I have not played Reach, so I don't know how that jetpack works, but it's almost certainly "smoother" than my method. For the tools we have and the map qualities we can manipulate, it's very difficult to achieve smooth flight while leaving regular biped ground movement intact. So this jetpack would launch you fairly high in a single burst, and then you would just tap it every couple of seconds to stay aloft, and airborne acceleration (your ability to change jump trajectory in midair) is how you'd navigate forward, backward and sideways. Compared to a "professional" jetpack in a game that is specifically designed to support jetpack flight, it won't be as good. However, you can combine it with all kinds of other mods that Reach will never support. :)

I might be able to remake it in a weapon tag, but right now I can't FTP to my xbox.

Here's a quick tutorial:
1. Go in the bipd tag and look at the Attachments reflexive. There will be a shield depletion effect. Change one of them to the effect for the scorpion cannon fire. Then change the primary scale to "crouch".
2. Go to the scorpion cannon fire effect tag. Change both the markers to "up". In the Accelerations reflexive of this tag, change the acceleration to something like 0.4.
3. Load your map, jump and crouch.

It will seem crude, but if you change the duration and magnitude of acceleration, you can get something workable. It would be better as an effect attached to a jmad. That is a little trickier, but select a weapon that has effects in its jmad (the smg or energy sword), and swap one of those effects to the scorpion cannon fire effect. I'm not 100% sure it will still work without more manipulation of markers, because the jmad effects are tied to markers on the weapon (I think). But I've done it before. I'll try to find that map...
rentreg

Post by rentreg »

the jetpack in reach is more of a controlled propulsion similar to how some jump pads only take you to a certain altitude and dont allow you to go out of controll. I found that if you wanted to immitate this you should have atleast two stages, hence two bipd attachments.
These were my settings:

effect tag #| duration | acceleration

1___________6___________0.119
2___________3.5_________0.025

however it does require you to jump to get off the ground. i did add a third bipd attachment which lasted a fifth of a second to get masterchief off the ground but the downside was that it could be combined with a jump to zip the player to the map's ceiling.

if the primary and secondary scales work together as in having to satisfy both primary and secondary, rather than primary or secondary then there might be a way around this.
Most users ever online was 152 on March 16th, 2012, 7:02 am
what happened on March 16th, 2012 at 7:02 am? 0_o