Halo 2 Multiplayer Beta

This is dedicated to all the mods the community wants to share!
Patches only people. No Map files.
Click16

Halo 2 Multiplayer Beta

Post by Click16 »

Hello all I have recently acquired a copy of the Halo 2 Beta and had plans for releasing it. Now the time has come. The way I decided to upload the files will make it easy to get an original copy, as well as getting a modified copy. Now because you can use both a Map Loader and a modified XBE file that will allow you to start an "Arranged Game," I thought It would be best to upload the beta as an empty archive with the exception of the Maps folder which contains the Default Variants and Fonts folder.

Differences between Loader and Cracked XBE...
First off, In my opinion, the cracked XBE is cooler than using the map loader, but there are disadvantages...
Disadvantages:
When you first start the beta you will notice text at the bottom saying "Uploading 0%" I really don't know what it's doing, but you will not be able to load a map until that goes away. Which takes about a minute or two. So pretty much map loading is a bit longer of a process. The other downside is that it requires 2 Xbox controllers. The reason being is because you need to "Sign" in to Xbox live using your player profile, make another controller join, leave using main controller, than rejoin using main controller, then leave using 2nd controller to have your name in the party list. (You can't actually load a game if there is not anyone in the party.)

Advantages:
You have 2 player support, full HUD, All weapon and vehicle spawns, and access to different game-types along with being able to set starting weapons and vehicles on map. You can also play as your user profile. And you get a start menu while in-game.

How to install:
First make a folder on your Xbox wherever you want (E:\Games, E:\DEVKIT\Tools, etc...)
Save and extract the Empty Beta archive and place the contents (should only contain a "Maps" folder) to your beta's directory.
Save one of the two XBE downloads below and place it in your beta's directory.
Save at least the Main Menu and Shared maps and place them your Beta/Maps directory.
Download any additional maps and place them into your Beta/Maps directory.

Downloads:
Empty Beta Archive
Original 'default.xbe'
Modified 'default.xbe'

Maps (Required):
Mainmenu
Shared

Maps (Optional):
Ivory Tower [Cyclotron]
Midship
Waterworks
Zanzibar
Lockout <-NEW

Map Loader:
Halo 2 Beta Scenario Launcher <-NEW

I was asked so here it is- Prerequisites to Play:
1. Either a softmodded XBOX or hardmodded (modchip, bios flash, etc.) XBOX.
2. If you can, try to get a working debug bois launcher. (Either MS version or the XIG)
3. You obviously need to ftp the files to the xbox, or make an XISO and burn to a CD. (It is small enough to fit on a CD.) If you need an XISO, I can hook you up.

Enjoy and Have Fun!

Special thanks to lucas93 - Cracking the XBE so that it can be played without debug communications.

Additional Notes:
If you want to change the blank text beneath BETA BUILD, you can type a 13 character limit at 5148188 in the XBE.
Last edited by Click16 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.
kornman00

Re: Halo 2 Multiplayer Beta

Post by kornman00 »

Who exactly did you "acquire" this from...
Click16

Post by Click16 »

kornman00 wrote:Who exactly did you "acquire" this from...
I got the beta (clean) from someone I knew, but the modified XBE i got from searching around online. Why do you want to know?
Gary

Post by Gary »

Why? Are you going to report him?

Also, just wondering, how big are these files?
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Gary wrote:Also, just wondering, how big are these files?
Download em and find out :p
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Gary wrote:
Why? Are you going to report him?

Also, just wondering, how big are these files?
No, but a few years back Kornman and a few other people were the only ones who had working beta files. The beta files posted here are most likely originated from Kornman and the others, which is why he wanted to know who gave it to him. I have no problem with this being here, but if it becomes even the smallest of problems I will not hesitate in removing it immediately and indefinetly from the site.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
kornman00

Post by kornman00 »

If you got it off some joe on assemblergames who isn't connected to me in anyway, then more power to you (nothing I can do about it, and it would be somewhat hypocritical of me to "report" him). However, I had an issue with an asshole a couple years ago who I trusted a little bit too much with some things and wanted to know if he was showing his fucking face again.
ChainBrain

Post by ChainBrain »

Hey, I too have this "beta". I have seen footage of the mongoose and flamethrower on Zanzibar, I believe it is from the same build. I cannot seem to open the .maps in dothalo to see about modding them. How do I spawn these? Also how can I spawn my self in the shared map?
Click16

Post by Click16 »

ChainBrain wrote:Hey, I too have this "beta". I have seen footage of the mongoose and flamethrower on Zanzibar, I believe it is from the same build. I cannot seem to open the .maps in dothalo to see about modding them. How do I spawn these? Also how can I spawn my self in the shared map?
Dothalo is for Halo 2 and Halo 1 maps, I am currently working on a program that edits beta maps, and this build has the mongoose disintigrator and flamethrower (and also a falcon) but I don't know how to spawn on shared. I know dark did it, but idk how.

Edit: I hex edited to spawn mongoose disintigrator and flamethrower
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

So what makes this beta so special? Compared to the full game?
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Which is why I released it. It's not really special, so there was no reason for it to remain "hidden"
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

Well.. Nice release
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Hey kornman, can you post the Halo 2 beta lockout.map? Thanks! :lol:
Remnant! We were the last stand.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

If you have it, it would be cool to release. If you want to release it, you can send it to me, ill upload it where i have all of the other maps and add it to this page.
Kills_Alone

Post by Kills_Alone »

Been hoping this would find its way out onto the streets. I like to study Bungie's unfinished work such as weapons and try to recreate and balance em. One such example is my take on the XBR55 from the E3 2004 Demo ; my version is exactly like a standard BR when not zoomed (three shot burst). But when zoomed it fires only one bullet which has a bit more damage, range, accuracy and the zoom level is a little higher. This provides you with a BR that can also function as a limited damage longer range weapon. I also gave it a orange scope and grey ammo numbers to stand out from the original.

Its an interesting progression when you study this rifles chronological lineage: DMR, XBR55, BR55, BR55HB SR.

I would like to attempt the same with the Halo 2 Beta era weapons. Is there any application that can open these beta map files?
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Kills_Alone wrote:I would like to attempt the same with the Halo 2 Beta era weapons. Is there any application that can open these beta map files?
Yeah, I made a functional meta editor, I'll let you have it, but it's not being released because I want to add more features.
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

*cough**cough*
Kills_Alone

Post by Kills_Alone »

Excellent, glad to hear it.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Zaid wrote:*cough**cough*
Zaid helped me tons with making a functional meta editor.
eMoneyGraphix

Post by eMoneyGraphix »

Aww I just finished downloading it and don't have a gamertag on my xbox to launch the thing. Is their a way around this? I also don't have a debug xbox.
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

You don't need a gamertag..
When it asks for a gamertag just hit 'B'
eMoneyGraphix

Post by eMoneyGraphix »

Thanks for the help but it still won't work doing that allowed me to get to the main menu but when I try selecting Xbox Live it gives me the option to either create a new gamer tag or to "Don't sign In" which it will not allow me to choose. Do I have to be connected to the internet or something? I have my xbox connected to a router which is mainly just used as a Ethernet switch so it doesn't have a internet connection attached to it.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Okay Here it goes:
If you want to play an "Arranged Game" you NEED the cracked default.xbe and replace your old one. When you start it up you press "I agree" than follow through, until it asks to sign into an account. Just press B and you will get to the main menu. Select Xbox Live and if you have the cracked XBE it will let you proceed. If not, you need to either:
A - get the cracked XBE.
or
B -Use the loader that I have a link to in the main post.
eMoneyGraphix

Post by eMoneyGraphix »

It still isn't working i tried using both xbe files you have listed and clearing my cache even tried it on another xbox no luck. Well I'm in the process of learning how to make my xbox a debug xbox so that should solve the issue.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

eMoneyGraphix wrote:It still isn't working i tried using both xbe files...
Okay, now you must be doing something wrong, I mean, if you have the cracked XBE installed correctly, where it says "NOT LOGGED IN" it should be blank... So hopefully I can do some tests to find out if I even uploaded the right files...