[Map] Contagion (Marines -vs- teh Flood v2)

This is dedicated to all the mods the community wants to share!
Patches only people. No Map files.
T Beezie

[Map] Contagion (Marines -vs- teh Flood v2)

Post by T Beezie »

__________________Containment protocols and fail safes no longer active,__________________
__________________this valley has become over-run by the flood once again.________________
__________________Can you stop the spread of the infectious Contagion?!__________________
_________________________________________________________________________________

Author: ________T Beezie
Preview: _______Teaser Trailer
Base map: ______Containment

______Serenity Patches
Version #1: ______ http://www.mediafire.com/?v54eotykibeqgg6
Version #2: ______ http://www.mediafire.com/?63v4x9wamavthdl
Version #1: ______ http://www.mediafire.com/?33xpgq19pwaiejd
Version #2: ______ http://www.mediafire.com/?udwyo9aq2rbrl1k

_____Map Mods
_____Version #1______
_____(Most stable)________

- Map completely re-skinned, custom shaders, textures, and bumpmaps

- New sky, edited skybox model

- Custom fog

- Added trees

- Added new [scen] and [decr] placements throughout the map

- Placed "man-cannons" at each base for quicker access to the battlefield

- Flood Meteorites!

- A.I. added (Marines, Infection forms, Flood combat forms, and fire-breathing Quadwings!)
((Marines = Yellow Team / Flood = Purple Team))

- A total of 17 scripts compiled and added to the map, governing A.I. respawns and A.I. "wave control"
_____Version #2_____
_____(Flood Apocalypse)________

- Contains everything mentioned above plus...

- The A.I. spawn count has been slightly increased

- A.I. "chain-spawning"
(in this version, when a marine biped dies, he is re-animated as a flood combat form.
Upon re-animation, the biped will change it's form as well as it's team affiliation.
When a flood combat form is killed, it spawns three infection forms, which hunt for the
next victim and start the cycle all over. The wave spawning scripts will keep the number
of marines at a constant, while the number of flood is ever-growing. This process may
seem to start out kinda slow, but in a matter of minutes the map will fill up, kill them as
quickly as possible. I have yet to see the map reach the point of freezing, but it will eventually
start to lag and overload. And some bipeds may begin to "loose their awareness" now and again when
the A.I. count eventually gets high enough.)

_____Pics

_____Bugs and Glitches_____
- When you kill a Quadwing, the body would fall to the ground and stay there forever,and this would eventually clutter up the map.
I had to compensate this by making the birds almost invincible, takes ALOT of damage to kill one.

- Unfortunately the A.I. has "forced" movement via [jmad] edits. I realize that this is a dirty way to make them move, but the way that I have edited the animations is
different than most [jmad] edited A.I. that I have previously released. Sorry, no "zones" this time.. They actually move quite smoothly, although they still tend to wander and get stuck at times.
Which is why I incorporated the "wave spawner" scripts, this keeps them from wandering too much, at random intervals the script will kill individual squads, and spawn them anew.

- Infection forms, for some reason, don't seem to mix with vehicles very well. For example, if you're driving a Warthog, and if you get swarmed by infection forms,
the Warthog will delete itself, and you will be instantly respawned... Strange.

- Unfortunately after many many attempts to make this map SLC, I have failed miserably. The map had come a long way before I got the chance to finally test SLC, then it was too late.
I have tried fixing sooo many things in hopes that I could bring the MP aspect back into the map, and I have yet to find what went wrong. The map is way haxzored, so I feel it's time
to just "let it go".

-Kornman who found the key to unlocking AI in MP in the xbe

-Soldier of Lite for his awesome script tools

-tjc2k4 for Insolence

-Iron Forge for Serenity

-farklem for DotHalo

-xbox7887 for Yelo

- DeToX for his Xbox Raw Screenshot Deswizzler

- XZodia for his 1337 plugins

- Anthony & Poke for H2G & H2C
and all who have participated in the development of Entity
have been developed since then, many that weren't at my disposal at that time. So instead of rebuilding the entire map,
I figured I would attempt to polish it up a bit, and just release the darn thing. Hope you guys like it...

Enjoy! :D
Last edited by T Beezie on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
DoorM4n

Re: [Map] Contagion (Marines -vs- teh Flood v2)

Post by DoorM4n »

Yeeees! I'm going to test this out tomorrow, for sure.
Remnant! We were the last stand.
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

Awesome! Will test this weekend. I hope the patch is not encrypted, so we can see how you accomplished some of your tricks.

This looks like a lot of work. I think we all understand about releasing a mod with misgivings about what it might have been, but I think it's the right choice.

How about making a new mod? Or even just some skins. The map looks very nice.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

Will give this a play today! =)
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

Serenity informs me that the map it output doesn't match the one you made... =(
I suggest using sppf.
T Beezie

Post by T Beezie »

Yeah, Serenity gives me the same error.. :\
Although I believe the patched map still turns out right.
But, just in case..
I've updated the main post and added both versions of the map in SPPF. :wink:
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

I started up version #1 but right when I spawned and I looked around and the map froze :( I used the .sppf

I think it's right when the AI spawn. :cry:

I just tried the serenity and it froze right when the AI spawn too. :( *cough* post the .map file *cough*
T Beezie

Post by T Beezie »

DoorM4n wrote:I started up version #1 but right when I spawned and I looked around and the map froze :( I used the .sppf

I think it's right when the AI spawn. :cry:

I just tried the serenity and it froze right when the AI spawn too. :( *cough* post the .map file *cough*
This makes me sad :cry:

Just to be sure, are you loading the map in the Multiplayer lobby? or System link lobby..?
Because for me it freezes in the System link lobby every time. :\
But the Multiplayer lobby should load... just in case I'll grab a fresh containment.map and off to test the patches once again.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Yes! I never use multiplayer lobby but it worked and im playing it now. I'll post a review today.
T Beezie

Post by T Beezie »

coolness... glad you got it too work! :)
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

My favourite part of this mod is the quad wings =)
However, I think it could have done with more AI, I played version 2 and was running circle around them =P
But mb thats just me >_>
T Beezie

Post by T Beezie »

XZodia wrote:My favourite part of this mod is the quad wings =)
However, I think it could have done with more AI, I played version 2 and was running circle around them =P
But mb thats just me >_>
Glad you liked the Quadwings! :)
and honestly, version 2 really doesn't provide a greater threat toward the player. I believe what I found interesting about v2 was the fact that after playing for a while,
the flood combat forms seem to be EVERYWHERE. Kinda felt like some good ole' fashioned zombie killin'! Although they don't seem to pose much of a threat, every now and then
one of them goes into a sort of melee frenzy, and they can also leap and strike from a distance. Doesn't seem to happen very often, but can really catch you off guard when they do.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

The map was beautifully built. I loved the atmosphere, and I think that really made the map for me. The AI in MP is really impressive, and I have never gotten it to work for me personally--so I can respect all of the work you put into it. I thought the quadwings were badass, and the other enemies could have used more dangerous powers, like XZodia said. The map is awesome just the AI needs to be more aggressive. Other than that, seriously the map was beautiful! It was like going back in time to a dinosaur world--and I love abstract, themed maps more than any other type of map.
T Beezie

Post by T Beezie »

Thanks for the great review DoorM4n! I'm happy that you enjoyed the whole atmosphere that I was trying to create. IMO, I feel that's what makes a "great" mod, when you can totally change the feel of a map by only altering the looks of it. Still plays like Containment, but sure don't "feel" like it! And I realize that the A.I. seem kinda retarded, this has always been an issue with A.I. in H2MP maps. If you don't have the zones, scripts, and all of the other bells and whistles that it takes to make them act right, they just roam around like mindless idiots. SP>MP conversion maps have always provided the best results as far as blending A.I. with multiplayer. And even if someone were able to get all of the prerequisites into a stock MP map, I still doubt that it would be worth the effort. I'm really anxious to dive in and try out XZodia's Simplicity app, I feel that it may yield better results while fuxing with the scnr tag. Or maybe I might even try my hand at making another SP mod, with all of the new tools available these days, I believe I could wreak some major havok!

On the other hand, I'm really excited that everybody is loving the killer Quadwings! They were a last minute addition to the map to give it some extra flair. 8-)
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

Finally had a chance to fire this up. It is fun to play, and I also wish the AI were more aggressive. Perhaps Xzodia has discovered the secret. The quadwings are awesome, and I wish there were more of them! I was finally able to kill one when he flew into the cave and got stuck. I like how eventually you are being swarmed with flood infection forms. It's like being the pied piper, where the rats try to eat the piper. The skin also looks great.