Advanced effect spawning

This if for tutorials and information for the community to use for great works.
Keep them organized now!..
neodos

Advanced effect spawning

Post by neodos »

Hello,

Yes another tutorial i am on a rush 4 tutorials in 1 day :p

Ok you may have readed this tutorial:
http://forums.remnantmods.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=219

In this tutorial i explain how to change the direction and the location where the object will be spawned.

So first of all do this tutorial:
http://forums.remnantmods.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=219

Stop at step 4.

What we need:
entity 1.6UE

Plugins here:
http://www.trashalo.hostgratos.net/plugins/

Method 1

What is going to spawn our object is the plasma grenade.

To choose the direction and spot in which we want to spawn the object we first need to setup the plasma greande model.

Open Entity and your map,
Go to the plasma grenade [mode]

As you can see it has 2 markers one called "ground_point" and the other light (which is the marker used for the light attachement on the [proj])

No if you want to add a marker do not duplicate, copy the markers from another tag, duplicating the same marker doesn't work fine.

Once you added more markers taking from another tag open the meta editor on your plasma grenade

And edit the placement with XYZ and the directions(ijkw) in the Markers reflexive, you can also change he name of the marker by choosing and SID in the lift, but each marker must have a different and unique name for the model.

Once you did this go to the tag:
"effe - effects\impact\explosion_small\plasma_grenade\detonation"

Now open meta editor

On the location reflexive you can choose the marker, put the name of the marker you setup on the plasma grenade model.

Then go in the Envent and on Parts choose the chunk that spawns your object and choose the Location chunk.

Method 2

You can also use the marker to choose where the effect will be spawned for the projectile attachements

Go to the [proj] plasma grenade and look for the attachement reflexive:

If you attach an effect to the projectile that will spawn more object, then on the effect you can setup multiples spawns with different markers on the effe location.

That's all, not really a tutorial just information, you can take a look at the 3volved tripmine, the invisibles projectiles that are used to detect players are spawned with the method 2.

-neodos
CaptainPoopface

Advanced effect spawning

Post by CaptainPoopface »

Thank you. This makes possible some things I have wanted to do for a long time.

It is a good day for modding.
CaptainPoopface

Re: Advanced effect spawning

I am having trouble with method 1. From your tutorial, it seems like you can add a marker to the [mode], and then attach things to the new marker in the [effe]. The model for the plasma grenade has the markers for ground point and light, but the detonation effect only has a marker (location) named "up," which does not appear to be related the markers in the [mode]. I do not see how to adjust the coordinates for this "up" marker in the effect. Maybe it is my plugin, but I think it is the most recent. Even when I click "show invisibles," there aren't any additional fields to set the location of these effe markers.

Am I supposed to take a mode marker and clone it inside the effe? I tried this and it didn't work. I don't understand how the effect markers can "know" about the model markers. It seems like the mode markers simply tell the effect where to happen on the model.

What I am trying to do is control where a chain-spawned object appears when it is spawned from an effect. For example, if I add 2 to the X coordinate of the marker, I want the chainspawned object to appear 2 units in front of the effect that spawns it. I was hoping this method would substitute for adjusting the velocity cone angle and angular velocity and all that jazz that I've had very little success manipulating in the past.

From my experiments, it seems as if I need to make the effect itself happen 2 units in front of the model, and have the chainspawned object spawn exactly at the effect. It is not as satisfying as having the effect happen in one place and the chainspawn happening in a different place. Is that possible?
neodos

Post by neodos »

I forgot to mention that, the location on effect like "up" "reflect" etc are default locations as their name indicate it goes up...

So you just have to rename the location, you can only take words of the SID list when you rename it.

It is possible to have the effect in one place and the spawned objects far from it, that's what this tutorial explain you have to setup your marker and then on the effect change the location name to the marker name you used on the model.
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

More Information about default location names...
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
neodos

Post by neodos »

Thank you for this !
CaptainPoopface

Yes indeed! I can rely on vectors instead of coordinates for the functionality I have in mind, although control of chainspawned coordinates would be optimal.

Neodos, I still cannot get your method 1 to work. Here is what I have tried:
  • Changing coordinates of existing markers in the mode and renaming a location in the effect (no change in coordinates happens in game)
    Renaming existing markers (all attachments on that location fail to appear)
    Cloning a marker in the mode and renaming the location in the effect (nothing spawns)
    Cloning a location in the effect and renaming a marker to it (nothing spawns)
    Cloning a marker and a location and naming them the same (nothing spawns)
:?

I think you have explained it as clearly as you can, and I don't know what else to try...
neodos

Post by neodos »

Don't clone chunks, copy from another tag and past onthe tag you want o have more chunks.

Also don't forget that your projectile that will do the effect spawn need of course an HLMT which have the mode with your markers.
bumlove

Post by bumlove »

could we have a clarification on I,J,K & W directions please, I tried googling them and got lots of heavy maths, as I see it there only needs to be 3 directional markers
-I=backwards +I=forwards
-J=left +J=right
-K=down +K=up
so whats the fourth value? (time :? *don't be stupid bumlove*)

the above values are complete guesswork based on nothing, and I assume are completely wrong
neodos

Post by neodos »

I don't know :oops: i'd suggest to take my laser proj spawn it with the effect so you can see the direction :wink:
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

ijkw a 4 unit vector rotation, which can be simplifed to 3 units by making w = 0
after doing that you can think of it as a line starting a 0,0,0 and ending at i,j,k which results in a rotation
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
bumlove

Post by bumlove »

Ah of course vectors need a start point
I can believe that I was so close to the truth and then assumed I was wrong, just shows you about assumtions

* wait a minute there how can W be zero as a starting point when it needs to be 3D co-ords? further explanation needed I think *
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

i can has quick question?

ok. i know for a fact that the "ground_point" marker is used more than once. so when selecting the marker when relinking your tag as an attachment or whatever you want, how do you know which marker you're actually linking to?
neodos

Post by neodos »

A marker is a position+ a direction

On the model you can have as many markers as you want, each marker has it's XZY and Yaw pitch roll coords(ijkw) and each marker on the model has its own name.

Note that you can use ANY name that is on the SID list(when you clic on the arrow for the marker name a list appears) ground_point is commoly used but note that everytime that this name is used it's a name that you find in the model markers.

So to use a marker on an effect you just use add the name to the list on top, here on top of the effe on meta editor:

You might need to add more chunks if you want to have more markers and choose the name on marker name.

Then you choose the "Parts" and under it you choose the marker number(Location)

What i show for method 2 is a bit different, it uses the model marker to know where the attachement will spawn and the direction, per example for a projectile you choose an effect and then you indicate which marker it will use to spawn, but of course the projectile must be using the model that has the marker that we are using on the attachement.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

i know. but thanks. ;) i only needed the last part:
neodos wrote:but of course the projectile must be using the model that has the marker that we are using on the attachement.
now, by that you mean the [hlmt]? or the [mode] predicted resource?
neodos

Post by neodos »

hlmt which points to the model with the marker.