How to get the Halo 1 Pistol without any Halo1 maps

Post your tutorials here, and if decided so, they will be moved to the 'Tutorials' forum.
Click16

How to get the Halo 1 Pistol without any Halo1 maps

Post by Click16 »

This is my H1 Pistol Tutorial from Halomods, Enjoy!

Hey everyone if you are reading this you probably want to know how to get the Halo 1 Pistol Located in the fenced room on Tombstone (highplanes) well here is a VERY detailed tutorial on how to do so.

Here is a pic of the Pistol model (its scenery) in the fenced room:

To start off you will need a couple programs:

Entity 1.3.9
DotHalo
And most importantly... a brain!

This tut is meant for Beginners - Advanced modders so this is basically meant
for everyone who want to do this!

This is going to be a Noob friendly Tutorial on how to inject and link the Halo 1 pistol to any map of your choice!

Section 1, Making the magnum look like the H1 Pistol

1. Open highplanes.map in Entity1.3.9.
2. Go to the model tag and click on the halo 1 pistol model (pic)
Model tag
And the model to click:
3. Now we have to take the pistol from this map and inject it into any map of your choice. I will use Coagulation to put the Halo 1 pistol into.
Now what we have to do is go to the top where the options are... NVM let the pic tell you:
4. Now we need to save it. This pic will tell you how to do so:
5. Now open any map of your choice... i will be using coagulation.
6. This pic will explain how to inject the pistol into your map:
7. Now when it is finished injecting into your map it will display a Done message. Now linking the model to the weapon...
8. Go to the Weapon tag and click on the magnium (as seen in this pic)
9. Right click on the lined part of the window and select: Display>Idents
10. Now we need the First Player models to be swapped with the Halo 1 pistol models. this pics will explain:
Now do that to all of the model tags if you need to refer to them to see if you are swapping just look at the pic above.
11. Go to the top and right click on the HLMT model of the weapon and click: GoTo Like in this pic:
12. Now that we are in the HLMT of the magnum now we have to make it look like the H1 pistol just follow the pic and you will be fine:
13. Well that is how to get the model on the pistol so that the magnum looks like the H1 pistol but you have to do more work to make it act like one!

Section 2, Making the Pistol act like one.

1. Close Entity and open DotHalo.
2. Open your map in dothalo and in the tag window select the jpt! header let it expand the list and click on what is listed on the pics:
and the tag you select:
3. Now in the Tag editor do the following:
4. Click save changes to complete the jpt! damage effects

Well that is basically how to add the Halo 1 pistol to any map of your choice. This is what i came up with:

Thanks, Happy Modding!
xXF3RcHoXx

Re: How to get the Halo 1 Pistol without any Halo1 maps

Post by xXF3RcHoXx »

You should also include how to restore the muzzle flash and firing sound
We are the last stand.
Aumman Anubis wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how a cat grooming defeats a failing economy.
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

Transfer the Markers reflexive from the fp_magnum mode tag into the H1 pistol tag.
That should restore all effects, sounds, and even make the gun sit correctly on the ground.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
rentreg

Post by rentreg »

yeah i noticed that pistol in highplains. i was going to overwrite the model chunks with magnum's so it would be compatible with the magnum JMAD but that always causes problems for me. good tut btw :D
Most users ever online was 152 on March 16th, 2012, 7:02 am
what happened on March 16th, 2012 at 7:02 am? 0_o
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Also go into the magnum firing effect I believe and null one of the sounds to make it sound like the halo 1 pistol again. I think it's the eject one. For some reason they used eject at the end of the firing sound and that's what makes the funny clink noise, because the firing sound from halo 2 and 1 sound the same if you extract them.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

DemonicSandwich wrote:Transfer the Markers reflexive from the fp_magnum mode tag into the H1 pistol tag.
That should restore all effects, sounds, and even make the gun sit correctly on the ground.
Hate to bump another truly ancient topic, but how is this done? I've been toying around with Entity, and I haven't figured it out yet.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Jon God wrote:Hate to bump another truly ancient topic, but how is this done? I've been toying around with Entity, and I haven't figured it out yet.
You can use the Chunk Cloner tool to transfer/copy chunks and reflexives from tag to tag. Here's how to get the First person sounds and effects working, as well as transferring the Ground Point marker.

Find the fp_magnum mode tag. (Should be objects\weapons\pistol\magnum\fp_magnum\fp_magnum)
Right click the empty space, and choose "Clone Chunk"

Select the "Markers" reflexive, then click "Copy to Clipboard"

Find the h1_pistol mode tag (should be scenarios\objects\multi\halo\highplanes\h1_pistol\h1_pistol), and open the Chunk Cloner.
Choose the "Markers" reflexive, and click "Overwrite Selected Chunk/Reflexive"

Remember to Click "Add Meta To Map" after you click "Overwrite Selected Chunk/Reflexive"

Find the magnum mode tag. (Should be objects\weapons\pistol\magnum\magnum), and open the Chunk Cloner.
Expand the "Markers" reflexive, and select the "ground_point" chunk. Click "Copy to Clipboard"

Go back to the h1_pistol mode tag, and open the Chunk Cloner
Select the "Markers" reflexive, and then click "Add to Selected Reflexive\Chunk"

Be sure to click "Add Meta To Map" after clicking "Add to Selected Reflexive\Chunk"

This is what the "Markers" reflexive should look like expanded:
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

an easier less map breaking way, would be to redirect the pointer...

In the magnum's mode tag, in the Meta Editor Plus, right click the Markers or Nodes reflexive, then "Add to external references list",
The go the the h1 pistol tag, right click the Markers or Nodes reflexive, then "Reference external reflexive from list" and then press Select.

This method avoids adding data to the map, which is good for a number of reasons.
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

XZodia wrote:In the magnum's mode tag, in the Meta Editor Plus, right click the Markers or Nodes reflexive, then "Add to external references list",
The go the the h1 pistol tag, right click the Markers or Nodes reflexive, then "Reference external reflexive from list" and then press Select.
Geez! Someone actually used that feature. I knew it would be useful, but didn't think anyone bothered to use it. :lol:
I originally intended it to be used to create references to the shared map resources or similar.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

I wasn't aware it could reference the shared maps lol
would that mean you could mod the shared map once, and cascade the changes to the real maps?
is there some way you could add references to entire tags in the shared map?
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

XZodia wrote:I wasn't aware it could reference the shared maps lol
would that mean you could mod the shared map once, and cascade the changes to the real maps?
This would be great for balancing your own version of Halo 2.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

:roll:
It never actually got to that point, but it was my original intention. My thought was that a map pack could be done with the same weapons / obstacles through-out without having to change each map. It would need to load the shared map and all the tags to allow you to select or just store a referenced pointer among all maps instead of just the currently active map.

If I remember someone was talking about not being able to add things to the shared map without breaking all the links... or was that mainmenu? Anyways, I never finished it.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Well adding any raw data to a shared map will shift the subsequent raws down, in doing so, would break the maps that reference that particular map.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

XZodia wrote:I wasn't aware it could reference the shared maps lol
I've seen code in the halo 2 executable that would check for the upper 3 bits used to locate resources on tag addresses pulled from the index. Sadly, I don't think it will do what we want, ex load tags from other maps, I believe it was intended for special case things, like the BSP? I'd have to recheck the code.

But either way there are huge roadblocks going down that path, such as, if we load tags from shared maps all of those tags and any tags in the local map must be laid out in such a way that they all are sequential in memory, with no overlapping. Imagine trying to build a meta table around that...
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

Why would that be difficult though?
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

Maybe my mind is deceiving me and I was thinking more of sharing bitmaps & such, but would be interesting to see if tags could be shared across as well. I suppose one could take a clean map and try pointing one of the tag indexes to the same tag located in the shared file (plus adding 0x80 to the topmost bits to direct it to the shared map) without too much issue and see what happens.

EDIT:
Due to magics, the 0x80000000 bit is already set in the index pointers. Not sure this would be possible.