Halo 2 in the Halo: Master Chief Collection

Discuss your Halo 2 mod project here.
DrXThirst

Halo 2 in the Halo: Master Chief Collection

Post by DrXThirst »

According to all interviews, Halo 2 will be running the exact same engine as it did on the original Xbox.

Does this mean the .map files will have identical structure?

...Does this mean what I think it means?
XZodia
Staff

Re: Halo 2 in the Halo: Master Chief Collection

Post by XZodia »

Thats not a name I've seen in a while...

Its impossible to say what it means until we have maps...

Also, its for XBox One, so it depends if the console is moddable...
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
DrXThirst

Post by DrXThirst »

XZodia wrote:Thats not a name I've seen in a while...

I just added you on AIM. Says it's waiting for your approval. Mine is simply "drxthirst."

And of course I don't remember all of the things I used to know, but for theoretical purposes, let's say we can store the game on our flash drive / external drive. At that point, all it would take is someone creating a program that would allow you to extract and inject the maps into the container, correct? This is also assuming the maps are still using the same structure.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

DrXThirst wrote:
XZodia wrote:Thats not a name I've seen in a while...

I just added you on AIM. Says it's waiting for your approval. Mine is simply "drxthirst."

And of course I don't remember all of the things I used to know, but for theoretical purposes, let's say we can store the game on our flash drive / external drive. At that point, all it would take is someone creating a program that would allow you to extract and inject the maps into the container, correct? This is also assuming the maps are still using the same structure.
The containers will be most likely be hashed and signed. If it's anything like the security model of the 360 then the keypair used to sign the container should be local and thus obtainable. However, if it is anything like the security model of the 360 the keypair will be stored in a file that is encrypted using a key that is physically burned into the hardware of the console. Assuming Microsoft doesn't make the same mistake they made with the xbox 360, I don't foresee the console being hacked for quite some time.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.