Need Help With a Network

NotZachary82

Need Help With a Network

Post by NotZachary82 »

Before I got this new laptop, I used to connect to a wireless network my dad setup, but it's protected by a security-key, and he can't remember what it is. So, I've been connecting directly to my router, and now it's pissing me off.

Is there anyway I can recover that security-key on, say, a computer that is already connected to that network? Or some other way of course ...
OwnZ joO

Re: Need Help With a Network

Post by OwnZ joO »

What kind of router is it. You can go into the router setup by typing the IP adress of your router in the address bar of an internet browser. It will ask you for a username and password. For linksys routers I think that it is 192.168.1.1 that you need to type in the address bar, and then the default username and password is usually a combination of admin for both the user and pass. For example username = blank, pass = admin or user and pass = admin, or user = admin and pass = blank. Your dad might have changed the password on that also though, so if he did that you might have to reset the router. I would google the model of router you have and look up how to set it up.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

Thanks OwnZ, I'll try those.

I'll just call up GeekSquad if I need some more help.
Eaton

Post by Eaton »

Or you can just reset your router back to factory settings. Click the "Reset" button on the back of the router and it should reset to an unsecured wireless network. Put new security on and remember the key. :wink:
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

Orly ...
Eaton

Post by Eaton »

I was trying to reset my router to fix my laggy connection, but I pressed the wrong button and all of my security settings were erased.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

Once I reset those security settings, how exactly will I secure it again?
Eaton

Post by Eaton »

NotZachary82 wrote:Once I reset those security settings, how exactly will I secure it again?
I assume you are on a Linksys router so... Type in 192.168.1.1 on your browser's address bar. It will ask you for a username and password. Just click ok and make sure "admin" is typed in as the username. I'm not at home so I can't really give specific steps, but go to the "Security" tab and set it up.

Or just get on AIM...
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

Eaton wrote:
NotZachary82 wrote:Once I reset those security settings, how exactly will I secure it again?
I assume you are on a Linksys router so... Type in 192.168.1.1 on your browser's address bar. It will ask you for a username and password. Just click ok and make sure "admin" is typed in as the username. I'm not at home so I can't really give specific steps, but go to the "Security" tab and set it up.
Sometimes it's 192.168.0.1.

It's just the routers IP.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

Well, I can connect wirelessly now. Thanks guys. I'll get to securing it later. :D
Eaton

Post by Eaton »

NotZachary82 wrote:Well, I can connect wirelessly now. Thanks guys. I'll get to securing it later. :D
Check you AIM messages from me when you get on next and you will be good to go. :wink: