A Possible Life Plan

DoorM4n

A Possible Life Plan

Post by DoorM4n »

So, I have many life plans and the least favorable of them is the typical: live in a city, have a great job/income, get a house with your wife, and raise a family. Travel once a year and live that basic "expected" life. You know?

I personally think that idea is unappealing and I have some life style ideas that I would like to be commented on. Please feel free to state the negatives and positives about this so I can plan ahead. I really like this idea and I want some true criticism on it. Here is ONE of my possible futures that I would like to live.

1.) Get my masters in Political Science (Political Science degrees gives you a strong background in all of the above: socializing, business management, analytical skills, advertising, writing skills, speaking skills, etc.) Political Science is a very broad major that gravitates around politics--my area of interest. Soon after, get a bartenders license at an official school and a lifeguard license.

2.) Out of college, with the help of my parents, move to a city and get a firm, official job for 2-3 years. Parents can help pay for the apartment and living for the time. I do not expect it to be too difficult to find a job in the local government with a masters in political science, however, fields are not always open. This degree allows me to get almost any reasonable paying job to get a relatively good income. This is for 2-3 years.

3.) At the end of the 3 years, move to another city, in another state. For instance, if I wanted to live in Dallas, Texas for 2-3 years, I would move to San Fransisco, California and live for one-two years. I would live and become part of the community. I would live a steady, low income life with a local job that I would find there whether that be a bartender, or working at a surf shop, a lifeguard, a local restaurant, anything. The point is about becoming self sustainable in another community on a low budget.

4.) After 2-3 years, move to North Carolina and do the same thing. Then after 2-3 years, move to Europe for 2-3 years. Then, move back to Boston, Massachusetts for 2-3 years and find a good job.

5.) I will be self sustainable with an income at each site. Then, as I wind down from the adventures, settle down in a city I absolutely love and work my way up through the political ladder--maybe even the city I started in. I will have lived an adventures young life, visited many different cultures, and taken advantage of the benefits of being young. Then, my goal is to become a mayor in this city, then gradually move up to higher positions.

This is one of my ideas that is floating around. My girlfriend and I both want to do this badly and I think it is very possible.

What are your comments? Your concerns? Some problems you see?

I want to hear problems that I can't see. Thanks for reading and sharing!
Remnant! We were the last stand.
Gary

Re: A Possible Life Plan

Post by Gary »

Sounds like a good long life, but the only real problem is life has ways of screwing with people, something bad could always happen, brake up with your girl friend(you may not see it happening, and it may not, but you never know), there could be many things that stop you.

But really, I think you should always try, make sure you think of anything that could happen.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

Its an interesting idea...I think the main problem is "becoming self sustainable in another community on a low budget" which is easier said than done...personally I wouldn't like living on a bartenders income...I don't think you've considered living expenses enough...
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
Zieon Eslador

Post by Zieon Eslador »

The major funding factor: Do you plan on having children during those 15 or so years? Also, you said Master's degree, so, if you obtain your Master's when you are 26 (or 24-25, depending on your course + starting age) that puts you at (at max) 41 or so. Seems a little late to settle down if you ask me. Buying time to become 35 and eligible for presidency? :wink:

Not bashing the idea at all, sounds fairly good to me.
Zieon Eslador (1:23:09 AM): I haven't seen Watchmen, but I plan to eventually...
NotZachary (1:23:15 AM): it has nukes, random things happening, and retards screaming
NotZachary (1:23:19 AM): kinda like MW2
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

xzodia wrote:I think the main problem is "becoming self sustainable in another community on a low budget"..."I don't think you've considered living expenses enough..."
I am glad you pointed that out. My main concern is to not throw away my education through this process. I will of course research this more as time moves on, but naively, I imagine finding a sustainable, paying job in any area with a master's degree in this field should be relatively easy. Now, if I go with a friend and they have a steady income as well, I believe the cost of living should not be much higher at all. Sooner or later I will add up immediate expenses and post them here.
Zieon Eslador wrote:The major funding factor: Do you plan on having children during those 15 or so years? Also, you said Master's degree, so, if you obtain your Master's when you are 26 (or 24-25, depending on your course + starting age) that puts you at (at max) 41 or so. Seems a little late to settle down if you ask me.
I do not plan on having kids anytime during this period and your statement about age is curious. I may move to only two places instead of my random list considering my age. I find it kind of strange planning out my life. Maybe I should just set goals and stop trying to build the details, get me?

Thank you very much for the comments guys. I have some other life plans that I will pour out in this thread.
Zieon Eslador

Post by Zieon Eslador »

DoorM4n wrote:I do not plan on having kids anytime during this period and your statement about age is curious. I may move to only two places instead of my random list considering my age. I find it kind of strange planning out my life. Maybe I should just set goals and stop trying to build the details, get me?

Thank you very much for the comments guys. I have some other life plans that I will pour out in this thread.
Wait, how old are you...? Because if you aren't just about to enroll then ignore that second part.

Now your plan looks a little more stable since you explained the moving bit. Also-

Whenever I right click and drag in a window I draw things... The only edit to that picture was resizing it. Is this good or bad?
Zieon Eslador (1:23:09 AM): I haven't seen Watchmen, but I plan to eventually...
NotZachary (1:23:15 AM): it has nukes, random things happening, and retards screaming
Gary

Post by Gary »

My Plan?
Take Over The World.
Remnant Samurai

Post by Remnant Samurai »

@ Zieon Eslador are you using firefox with a skin on?

And my plan is pretty much the same as Gjsdeath and Bungie's.

Take Over The World FTW....
Gary

Post by Gary »

Well, RaZoR73, there's a problem with your plan...
We can't both rule the world, you shall one of the lost when I'm in control.
Zieon Eslador

Post by Zieon Eslador »

RaZoR73 wrote:@ Zieon Eslador are you using firefox with a skin on?

And my plan is pretty much the same as Gjsdeath and Bungie's.

Take Over The World FTW....
No, this is weird... I'm using Aero Fox. This started fifteen minutes ago, never before. Maybe I can has accidental h4x? I didn't download any new plug-ins for Firefox...
Ohh yea... I remember, I turned on FireGestures. Now to figure out how to use them...

My plan- Steal someone else's plan and use it.
Last edited by Zieon Eslador on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

Already planning on the future, eh?
Looks like your relationship with your girlfriend is gettin' a little more serious.

Your plan is interesting to say the least. I have doubts that you'll retain the motivation to actually live a low income life in one area for a few years, and then go on and do it again. Keep in mind, it'll be difficult to "see the sights" and practice some hobbies on a low income, so I imagine that it'll get repetitive.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Who needs to work, we'll let the rich people pay for us.
Remnant Samurai

Post by Remnant Samurai »

Gjsdeath wrote:Well, RaZoR73, there's a problem with your plan...
We can't both rule the world, you shall one of the lost when I'm in control.

Rule together maybe? maybe? I'll be your second in command...
Gary

Post by Gary »

RaZoR73 wrote: Rule together maybe? maybe? I'll be your second in command...
Hmm, maybe, I don't see anything wrong with that.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Aumaan Anubis wrote:Already planning on the future, eh?
Looks like your relationship with your girlfriend is gettin' a little more serious.
Well, it is one of those basic conversations people tend to hold that are always so interesting. This idea has been floating around and we have discussed possible future plans since day one, and I then figured it would be nice to hear what others think about an idea so adventurous.
Aumaan Anubis wrote:I have doubts that you'll retain the motivation to actually live a low income life in one area for a few years, and then go on and do it again.
That is an extremely interesting point. I am going to think more about that and respond tomorrow.
Aumaan Anubis wrote:Keep in mind, it'll be difficult to "see the sights" and practice some hobbies on a low income, so I imagine that it'll get repetitive.
I don't plan on being a tourist in a new city. It will be like 2 people coming straight out of college, but will already have money under their belts from their previous job, and live in a new city. I will work, enjoy the city life by becoming a neighbor, and live in a different society. I may also consider finding a job first in the location, then move there to solidify the plan. The job is by far the most important element I will be trying to attain.

My second life plan is also a bit interesting and involves the Peace Corps.