[No Religious Affiliation] Seven Deadly Sins

DoorM4n

[No Religious Affiliation] Seven Deadly Sins

Post by DoorM4n »

What do you guys think of these? These are somewhat religiously imposed but I am just curious as to what others see in the list. It looks like America is generally pro at the 7 Deadly Sins. Now, I don't have any particular thoughts yet as to the significance of these, but I will dispose of my thoughts once I gather them. What do you guys think? It is kinda curious...

Information from Wikipedia.org
"There is nowhere in the Christian Bible that a list of the Seven Deadly Sins is given,..."

Lust (or lechery) is usually thought of as involving obsessive or excessive thoughts or desires of a sexual nature. Giving in to lusts can lead to sexual or sociological compulsions and/or transgressions including (but obviously not limited to) sexual addiction, fornication, homosexuality, adultery, bestiality, rape, and incest.

Gluttony is the over-indulgence and over-consumption of anything to the point of waste. In the Christian religions, it is considered a sin because of the excessive desire for food, or its withholding from the needy.[3]

Depending on the culture, it can be seen as either a vice or a sign of status. Where food is relatively scarce, being able to eat well might be something to take pride in (although this can also result in a moral backlash when confronted with the reality of those less fortunate). Where food is routinely plentiful, it may be considered a sign of self control to resist the temptation to over-indulge

Greed (or avarice, covetousness) is, like lust and gluttony, a sin of excess. However, greed (as seen by the church) is applied to the acquisition of wealth in particular. St. Thomas Aquinas wrote that greed was "a sin against God, just as all mortal sins, in as much as man condemns things eternal for the sake of temporal things.

Sloth has changed considerably since its original inclusion among the seven deadly sins. In fact it was first called the sin of sadness or despair. It had been in the early years of Christianity characterized by what modern writers would now describe as melancholy: apathy, depression, and joylessness — the last being viewed as being a refusal to enjoy the goodness of God and the world God created.

Wrath (or anger or "Rage") may be described as inordinate and uncontrolled feelings of hatred and anger. These feelings can manifest as vehement denial of the truth, both to others and in the form of self-denial, impatience with the procedure of law, and the desire to seek revenge outside of the workings of the justice system (such as engaging in vigilantism)[citations needed] and generally wishing to do evil or harm to others.

Envy may be characterized by an insatiable desire; they differ, however, for two main reasons. First, greed is largely associated with material goods, whereas envy may apply more generally. Second, those who commit the sin of envy resent that another person has something they perceive themselves as lacking, and wish the other person to be deprived of it. Dante defined this as "love of one's own good perverted to a desire to deprive other men of theirs."

Pride (or hubris or "vanity") is considered the original and most serious of the seven deadly sins, and indeed the ultimate source from which the others arise. It is identified as a desire to be more important or attractive than others, failing to give compliments to others though they may be deserving of them,[citation needed] and excessive love of self (especially holding self out of proper position toward God). Dante's definition was "love of self perverted to hatred and contempt for one's neighbor."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dead ... uperbia.29

My teacher brought this to our attention today I began pondering the American dream that revolves around wanting and getting more. All seven of these are variables we must pass through to get to the top, eh? Any thoughts?
Remnant! We were the last stand.
socrates

Re: [No Religious Affiliation] Seven Deadly Sins

Post by socrates »

interesting.... it certainly does make one think about their life and its impact on other peoples' lives....
thanks doorman....
I'm sure more than a few people will read this and realize some way they can live their life better...i know i did
Gary

Post by Gary »

Yay, I won't have to go to hell, it will be full by then...

But come on, take lust for example, its a basic human function, its based on the need to mate and continue the human raise.

And we are animals like any other, we are just smarter.

If we where the strongest, longest lasting, and had powers to control the earth, then, maybe I wouldn't relate us to the other creatures of this world...
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

Gjsdeath wrote:But come on, take lust for example, its a basic human function, its based on the need to mate and continue the human raise.
Lust is the perversion of the act to the point that it's not for purposes of procreation at all. To the point where you cross all boundaries that allow procreation, and you engage in the act for pure pleasure. Pure pleasure is the main point.

Or something like that.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Ah, I see, but it makes me wonder, why can't we have fun right now?
And something else, if in heaven if everything is great, then why are we afraid to die?
Because we have instinct telling us to continue on.

Everyone fears death, even if you act like you don't, you do.
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

Gjsdeath wrote:Ah, I see, but it makes me wonder, why can't we have fun right now?
Unfortunately, that goes into a religious discussion...
Gjsdeath wrote:if in heaven if everything is great, then why are we afraid to die?
Because we have instinct telling us to continue on.
Indeed, human instinct, combined with the universal fear of the unknown. No one truly knows what happens after one dies, so even those with the strongest faith in some sort of afterlife have no proof, and therefore no certainty, and therefore some fear.
Zieon Eslador

Post by Zieon Eslador »

Well if it makes you feel better, elephants mourn their dead for a few minutes and then move on. It can't be too bad if they get over it that quick. :wink:
Zieon Eslador (1:23:09 AM): I haven't seen Watchmen, but I plan to eventually...
NotZachary (1:23:15 AM): it has nukes, random things happening, and retards screaming
NotZachary (1:23:19 AM): kinda like MW2
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

We are animals. We can easily be compared to the monkeys in zoos. We are just socialized differently.

I feel like this all revolves around morals. And who created morals? Humans in response to their interpretation of their religious documents.

Lacking these 7 deadly sins is a great way to make the best of your life. How many of you guys believe in karma? :P
Gary

Post by Gary »

karma, is that like what goes around comes around or something?
If so, then somewhat.
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

DoorM4n wrote:And who created morals? Humans in response to their interpretation of their religious documents.
I find that morals represent an internal guidebook in each person's mind that dictates their actions. Actions and morals are dictated by...
1) Fear of punishment.
2) Empathy.
3) Desire to obey God.
4) more...
Coincidentally, we're studying morality in my theology class, and that's where I got the list from. So yes, God or religion can factor into it, but it doesn't factor into everyone's. For instance, Atheists wouldn't be moral if it was strictly based upon religious document interpretation.
DoorM4n wrote:Lacking these 7 deadly sins is a great way to make the best of your life.
Yet impossible. It's quite impossible to live a full life, and lack sloth or wrath. In fact, human biology during adolescent years can account for apathy, joylessness(sloth), and for uncontrollable rage(wrath).
And if you have no pride, you have no reason for self-respect... In no way do I encourage you to be excessively proud, but it's not entirely a bad thing.
If you're never proud of yourself, then... I feel really bad for you.
In fact, I'm going to go ahead and outright disagree as this being a deadly sin. Pride inspires love for oneself, love for others, self confidence and self-esteem boosts.
DoorM4n wrote:How many of you guys believe in karma? :P
Careful... I see religious ground ahead.
Gary

Post by Gary »

I completely agree with you on this Aumaan
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

Lust, Sloth, and Wrath = Me.

Lust...because I'm a male.
Sloth...because I'm a lazy male.
Wrath...I have anger issues. (¬_¬)
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Great analysis Anubis. You are definitely right on what you wrote.

I will add on to this soon. haha, I don't feel like typing right now, I need to get some sleep.

These 7 deadly sins are usually considered "deadly sins" when they are taken to the extremes. In our materialistic world right now, we look to excessive pride as a tool to get to the top, to remove restraint and other influences. I mention to get to the top because that is always our goal, to get more and better to live a better life aka moving up higher in the social ladder. So as pride is 100% required for certain successes in the more modern world, it is considered a deadly sin when you take it too far. Here is the entire wikipedia insert...

"Pride (Latin, superbia)

Main article: Pride

In almost every list pride (or hubris or "vanity") is considered the original and most serious of the seven deadly sins, and indeed the ultimate source from which the others arise. It is identified as a desire to be more important or attractive than others, failing to give compliments to others though they may be deserving of them,[citation needed] and excessive love of self (especially holding self out of proper position toward God). Dante's definition was "love of self perverted to hatred and contempt for one's neighbor." In Jacob Bidermann's medieval miracle play, Cenodoxus, pride is the deadliest of all the sins and leads directly to the damnation of the titulary famed Parisian doctor. In perhaps the best-known example, the story of Lucifer, pride (his desire to compete with God) was what caused his fall from Heaven, and his resultant transformation into Satan. Vanity and narcissism are prime examples of this sin. In Dante's Divine Comedy, the penitent were forced to walk with stone slabs bearing down on their backs in order to induce feelings of humility."

Meaning, don't try and save face. If you are wrong, be wrong. Humility is a sign of morality and strength in these eyes. Excessive humility may be a sign of weakness, though. Excessive pride is the problem, pride is not.
socrates

Post by socrates »

I gotta say...this is one of the most enlightening topics on the site.
I do not believe in "karma" but I do believe in its basic ideas, i do believe that people who do good things should be rewarded for them, and that people who wrong others and themselves should be punished.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

By the way Buddhism is more of a philosophy than a religion, they don't have a God. The part that might be considered religious is the belief in rebirth, but it doesn't necessarily have to be.

Karma is also not just what goes around comes around. I mean in a sense it is, but not how you think. I just lost the book I was reading in philosophy class that was written by the Dali Lama and he described Karma as the actual action of what you do, and then effects of that action. Basically when you do bad things like murder, it damages your soul and you are reborn as a lesser being.

But yeah, on the seven sins, the key to all of these is that they are excessive. Everyone does all of these sometimes, but when they get to the point where they are out of your control they are bad.
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

The Seven Deadly sins isn't a list of things to avoid but rather of things to moderate.
They all involve some level of pleasure and/or joy but can be destructive of oneself if care is not taken.

Lust: Basic human function and every male on the planet, both heterosexual and homosexual alike, is guilty of it.
Sex was intended for procreation but the act itself is one of lifes greatest pleasures. However this is "sin" has one of the greatest dangers. If you don't take care, you could contract some form of STD or perhaps having an unborn child.
Certainly not worth a single act of sex.

Gluttony: Everybody likes food. Taste is another one of life greatest pleasures. But just like sex, it needs to be moderated as well.
The purpose of eating is to just fuel ones body. But too much food can destroy it.
Eating too much sugary food can make you diabetic. Eating to much fatty food can make you fat and increase bad cholesterol.

Greed:Many American politicians are guilty of this. Being greedy in itself isn't a bad thing, it just makes you look like an asshole.
However greed can likely lead to theft to obtain more and more money. Thus likely landing you in jail.

I don't feel like doing the others now. The point is is that's it's more like a guide to tell you things to care for rather than to avoid.
They all involve some form of pleasure and/or joy.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Sloth--Laziness. It is killing me and destroying me one second at a time. :(
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

DemonicSandwich wrote:If you don't take care, you could contract some form of STD or perhaps having an unborn child
I'm assuming you meant unintended.
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

OwnZ joO wrote:
DemonicSandwich wrote:If you don't take care, you could contract some form of STD or perhaps having an unborn child
I'm assuming you meant unintended.
Was getting lazy, didn't feel like revising.
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

DemonicSandwich wrote:Was getting lazy, didn't feel like revising.
Haha. Irony noted.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

I feel wrath is the easiest to overcome for me. I am not ever angry for some reason, well sometimes, but it is interesting seeing people with excessive anger. Do you guys know anyone who has excessive anger? :hmm:
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

DoorM4n wrote:Do you guys know anyone who has excessive anger? :hmm:
I can name ten.
Zieon Eslador

Post by Zieon Eslador »

NotZachary82 wrote:
DoorM4n wrote:Do you guys know anyone who has excessive anger? :hmm:
I can name ten.
I see your ten and raise you fifteen. :]
Zieon Eslador (1:23:09 AM): I haven't seen Watchmen, but I plan to eventually...
NotZachary (1:23:15 AM): it has nukes, random things happening, and retards screaming
NotZachary (1:23:19 AM): kinda like MW2
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Remove everything I wrote. I am the angriest person alive right now 'cause of my father. :evil:
Gary

Post by Gary »

Why Remove it? Just calm down, I get mad at my dad too, its normal.