error 16

techtoast

error 16

Post by techtoast »

I haven't bee on in a while because fall quarter started and i had a lot of homework to keep up on. But before i left I was trying to get debug mode running correctly on my xbox original, and i got error 13(can't find/load dash). no big deal, i'll redo the exploit and load my backup files. I was too lazy at the time and my friend had the disc i needed to do it. So i figured i'd keep myself busy by doing a case mod with the jewel and put a pair of panel mount usb ports on. That went fine.

now i have error 16 (cant set the fucking clock), and i won't boot a disc, and (i think) it errors before it unlocks the hard drive. I don't have a computer with IDE, and i (foolishly) don't have a backup copy of my eeprom to unlock it.

any ideas on what to do? do i have to buy another xbox or put a modchip in? Is there some utility where i can put the xbox hd in my external hard drive enclosure (i think it's IDE) then fuss with some kind of eeprom unlock thing? forgive me if i don't fully understand how that works. just an idea. any help is greatly appreciated.
Greetings, I am techtoast, master of modifuckation
XZodia
Staff

Re: error 16

Post by XZodia »

That sounds like one of the early exploits...did you have your xbox disconnected from the power for an extended period of time? There might be a fix best to look around http://www.xbox-scene.com
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

I forget exactly when the xbox unlocks the Hard drive so this may not work but, maybe you could load config magic off of a CD and at least look at the lock code or boot evox like that and make a backup copy of the eeprom.

You could also purchase a modchip and reformat a different harddrive as long as you don't use XBL.

I'm sure there's a way to erase the lock code in DOS but I'm unsure how to.
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

xxpenguinxx wrote:I forget exactly when the xbox unlocks the Hard drive so this may not work but, maybe you could load config magic off of a CD and at least look at the lock code or boot evox like that and make a backup copy of the eeprom.

You could also purchase a modchip and reformat a different harddrive as long as you don't use XBL.

I'm sure there's a way to erase the lock code in DOS but I'm unsure how to.
The console unlocks the HDD before it boots to media so that wont work. You don't need to reformat anything, if you have a modchip then you can boot directly to slayers or config magic and fix everything from there. Since h2 servers got shut down who the fuck plays live any more? You can't erase the lock code. There are certain companys that can unlock the hdd for you for a price but it's not worth it.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

Actually, the Halo 2 servers aren't down...

http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=tags&tag=22
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
neodos

Post by neodos »

Back online seems like, but maybe just for a short time?
socrates

Post by socrates »

I had this problem with a friends xbox that he left in a closet... Grim's right, and yes you do need a mod-chip. There's a battery on the motherboard that saves the clock and date settings etc. it holds a charge for a while but if the xbox is disconnected the battery does wear down.. I forget if the more up-to-date soft-mod installers fixed this so it was still resettable but I could never fix the xbox for my friend.... (no mod-chips for me...)
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Yeah I'm pretty sure that only applies to older soft mods. If you have a friend or another xbox with a solderless mod chip you might be able to reset the clock and then take it out.
techtoast

Post by techtoast »

ok, so i'm borrowing a friends tower right now to do the hotswap. i've got a clean install of of windows xp, my xbox system backup (thankfully), xplorer 360 beta 3,4,5&6, and fatx explorer. after much searching i found some useful information on hotswapping. the esaiest way is if the white microsoft logo pops up, but mine dosen't, so there are a few other methods. to do it right before the error screen, to induce error 12 by removing the DVD IDE cable and remove it right before, or right after the error screen, or one interesting one i found. to listen to the xbox hard drive for the clicks (long---long---long---short) and pull it out imediatly between the 3rd and 4th click. I tried all of the methods over the last few hours to no avail. Is there something i'm missing or is my xbox just fucked? I (foolishly) bought the thing pre-modded and the guy didn't backup his eeprom. i didn't know enough at the time to think about doing it myself....damn.

EDIT: ok, trying not to be TOO optpmistic on this, but hopefully this will save my life:
http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/Read ... dd_key.htm
I'm an electrical engineering student so i should be able to figure out, mostly what i'm doing. i'll let you guys know how it goes after the weekend.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Your best bet is to hotswap the drive into a xbox with a modchip. Doing what your doing is a bit risky and over complicated.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
techtoast

Post by techtoast »

well the deed is done. the reader worked like a charm and I have my EEPROM.bin that matches my serial number. 8-) however when I try to rebuild my HD with xboxhdmV1.9, I get this error:

Disk error 80, AX=4xxx, drive 9F

I googled this and didn't get very far. the only suggestion i found was to try plugging in the IDE cable after the HDM menu appeared. That didn't make a difference. I tried building a seperate one from scratch on a regular unlocked hdd but got the same result regardless of when i plugged in the IDE cable.

Any ideas on what could be going wrong here? could it just be the dinosaur of a computer i'm using? should I put another desktop under the knife and try again? I can provide pictures, screen captures, more detailed specs, etc. upon request. all your help is greatly appreciated.
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

Have you tried simply clonong the original HDD? Is it possible that the new HDD you are trying to rebuild with does not support locking?
techtoast

Post by techtoast »

it's the original hdd that i'm restoring the backup to. It was working in the xbox for years so it must support locking. the other drive i tried was to see if it was the drive giving the computer problems or if it had something to do with something else.