Windows Installations

Click16

Windows Installations

Post by Click16 »

Hey everyone. I want to know if I could access or start my computer with a different OS. I had Windows 7 installed, but I wanted XP as well. I installed XP to a partition of my main HDD. I just want to be able to choose to start Windows XP or Windows 7. So both OS's exist, but it automatically starts XP. Does anyone here have a fix to this issue? If no solutions exist, I will just transfer all of my Halo 2 stuff, downloads, music, and pictures to my main account. If I end up doing the second option, transferring my stuff, could I merge or increase the partition that I am currently using?

Thanks to all who can help. Also, this picture might be able to give you a better picture of what I am dealing with.

Dragonfire

Re: Windows Installations

Post by Dragonfire »

modify your boot.ini file? :?
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

I think you're gonna need to make your win7 partition your boot partition, and then modify the Win7 loader to know where winXP is. Not positive on that, but I think it'll be something to that effect. If you can find a way to boot into windows 7 at least temporarily you can use the partition manager to give the win7 partition a name and then the files will be accessible on XP if they're not already.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Yes, I can access my Windows 7 files on Windows XP. I just want to be able to merge or increase my partition size on XP and copy my files that are needed. Anything extra would be deleted.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

You might wanna look up gparted live cd. It's a live cd of the GNU partition manager, that would be able to delete the windows 7 partition and increase the size of your xp one(after you've moved the files you want to keep over yourself). There might be other free partition managers available, but I haven't looked because gparted works fine for me.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Okay, I found a fix. Penguin recommended that just install space-consuming applications to my other hdd. I can just delete the old OS at this point. So my downloads, modding stuff, and programs will be on disk C while the rest of my stuff (Small programs, some pics, music, etc.) will stay on my HDD that I am using.

The main issue is that I cannot delete the Windows folder. I was able to delete all unnecessary items (Program Data, Unused tags, the users folder, etc.) But I CANNOT delete my Program Files folder or the Windows folder. I tried using Unlocker, it helped a bit, but it still cannot delete everything. Any ideas?