Time to move on.

DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Time to move on.

Post by DemonicSandwich »

I'm done with modding Halo 2.

In these past weeks as my family have slowly uprooted, and rerooted even slower, I've had time to think things through.
I graduated 2008, I'm now 20, and I have yet to start looking at my future. In fact to this day, I am unsure as to what I want to do with my future.
I have yet to even find my first legit job, though that's due entirely to the government and poor economy.
And even though there is still so much I want to do in H2X modding and this community, I have to move on.

It was a good run and it was very fun and worth while.
I've learned so much about the game structure and have done so many creative things with what I've learned.
I joined the Halomods community mid 2006, near the peak of H2X modding. I saw so many creations, so many unique ideas, so much creativity. Before this, I never thought such a world existed outside of minor glitches.

I did not predict being able to fly around the map with a camera, being able to drive a Warthog with a tank turret. Or having weapons from single player and even other games!
I've seen race tracks that really produce a challenging course to follow, map skins that would be nothing short than a work of art, new sets of unique weapons to change game play tactics, and even completely new levels made from the very machines we walked on in Campaign, I've seen level conversions previously thought impossible to accomplish but a select few saw otherwise.

I've witnessed so many advances as fellow modders wanted to expand on the game's structures. Applications as complex as Entity and Insolence to change nearly any structure in the map to single purpose apps for creating new effects. . A sbsp viewer that renders the map like it would ingame and lets you skin at the same time.
Back down to an app to FTP the maps. And even apps to edit in real time.

We gained the ability to inject new sounds. The ability to inject perfect models. And even research into creating custom animations. Something thought to never happen.

I watched as Cougar founded a great community which true to it's name, turned out to actually be the last few refuges for H2X modders.

I've seen the Halomods community go through a rapid growth in activity, an even more rapid decline, a violent takeover, a rebellion, an abandonment, and a reformation under those who still care.
I've met so many talented people. I've made friends and enemies. I've had friends turn to enemies and back to friends again.
It's a time I will not forget

--------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------

My only regret is that I had not joined sooner.
So as this year comes to an end, so does my influence on the H2X modding community.
This doesn't mean I'll be gone by year's start, I'll stick around for a time and help out with those who have questions.

And since 360 modding is still in it's infancy, I may return to hack Halo 3 to hell and back.
Some time this week, I'll try to upload my H2X shit to the Remnant server though I need to cut the fat off first. (currently 80GB+)

To the Remnant community:
We are the ones that stuck it through.
We are the few that still mod.
We. Are. Remnant.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
XZodia
Staff

Re: Time to move on.

Post by XZodia »

I don't think you used "Ironic" correctly...
Bah, that's cause I missed it when fixing my other grammar errors. >_>
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Very sad to see you go, your are were such a great modder, well, the best I have ever seen.
Hope you stick around though, you don't have to be directly involved with modding, I am still here and I don't mod H2 any more.

And as for choosing a future, maybe something game related? Not sure, what ever makes you happy really. Just don't get stuck doing something boring, have fun and enjoy what ever you choose to work in.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

I would say you should at least think about trying to get into some field down the road where you can use the skills you've developed thanks to modding. You are great at most aspects of modding as far as I know, honestly one of the top 10 ever in my opinion(for your actual work and creativity, not just counting important breakthroughs and apps). I remember thinking at some point that you would probably be a good programmer, but I don't remember why. Think about those things you enjoyed from modding and ask yourself if there's any way you could end up doing that as a living, and if so, try to go to school or whatever you have to do in order to achieve it, because you are top notch, and school wouldn't hurt your chances of getting hired and might teach you a thing or two. Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy it.
DarkShallFall

Post by DarkShallFall »

I hope this thread inspires others.
I too have been modding for a long-ass time.
I wish you so much luck Demonic, you have always been a great friend and you have always helped and tutored me.
Although I really anticipated making this Reach mod with you, I know that this is the right thing for you. I saw the thread congratulating you on your 20th birthday, and I was amazed how fast shit has flown by since the Wake Island days. We will always have our memories, later on in the future in a year or so if you wanna look me up or you wanna hang out, feel free.
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

Congrats DS! Moving on is a great but sad thing in life. I sure hope you go into something related to this community. I pretty much think everyone here is either going into game developement or computer programming, we have some sharp minds working here.

Let us know how your future turns out Demonic, happy trails

(im still gonna have to ask and re-ask u about vehicle mods)
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

Good luck DS!
See you back here in 5 years when you've got yourself established. Maybe by then we'll be able to inect bsps. :XD:
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

I'm gunna finish animations for your joly ol' ass now :]
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
neodos

Post by neodos »

Sad but happy to see one more taking a new path, you've been a great modder and person hope to see you around good luck on your future :wink:
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

I'm afraid that all I can offer is a friendly goodbye from the modding community, and a good luck on your future journeys.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

I congratulate you on your acknowledgment and wish you the very best the world can offer. Demonic, you're taking a large step, and I sincerely hope you are able to fight that urge to continue. The leading factor in me separating myself from modding was my banishment from Halomods.

I nominate Demonicsandwich be BANNED FROM REMNANT!

Who seconds?

Just playing, man. Good luck and farewell, good friend.
Remnant! We were the last stand.
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

Thank you guys.

The south is pretty good so far. My parents tell me that they saw numerous job wanted signs so the job market is hopfully better here.
While it is a VERY religious state, I haven't found that a problem.

The school districts here are ridiculously well funded. Every school bus I saw was either new, or just well maintained/cleaned...or both. While in California, all the school buses where built in the 80's and were maintained just enough to continue running.

Most people here are allot nicer and not so high strung or high paced. Unfortunately, most people here are complete fucking idiots. Whom should not own anything with wheels.
I thought the whole "southern people are idiots" was a stereotype but many of these people make it a sad sad reality.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
DarkShallFall

Post by DarkShallFall »

DemonicSandwich wrote:Thank you guys.

The south is pretty good so far. My parents tell me that they saw numerous job wanted signs so the job market is hopfully better here.
While it is a VERY religious state, I haven't found that a problem.

The school districts here are ridiculously well funded. Every school bus I saw was either new, or just well maintained/cleaned...or both. While in California, all the school buses where built in the 80's and were maintained just enough to continue running.

Most people here are allot nicer and not so high strung or high paced. Unfortunately, most people here are complete fucking idiots. Whom should not own anything with wheels.
I thought the whole "southern people are idiots" was a stereotype but many of these people make it a sad sad reality.
Gonna be a bitch to find a new weed source.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Or a comparable one if you're going from Cali to anywhere else...
rentreg

Post by rentreg »

Sad to see you go mate. i also wish i joined earlier. i reached out to forums in the begginning of 09 when i grew sick of setting biped jumping height to 30000 (my first mod) or a similar number for a damage effect (hehe.. nuke :P). Ive learnt so much from you. Theres no second mod where i dont refer back to one of your tutorials for the 'Demonic' way of doing things.
Most users ever online was 152 on March 16th, 2012, 7:02 am
what happened on March 16th, 2012 at 7:02 am? 0_o
Eaton

Post by Eaton »

Wow, didn't see this coming. :(

You are one of the best modders and researchers I have ever seen. I have always been amazed at your work and the pictures you post in the WIP threads. You have also been a tutor to me when Entity was giving me trouble back when I modded Halo 2. I hope to see you come back in Halo 3. We could use someone like you. :wink:

Good luck in your future endeavors.
~Eaton