Microsoft Updates Tampered With Firefox...

socrates

Microsoft Updates Tampered With Firefox...

Post by socrates »

Source
novice61 wrote:It appears that Microsoft has tampered with Firefox in one of it's security updates. The .net framework was added to the Mozilla browser automatically as an add on. The add on can be disabled, but not uninstalled, as they also caused the uninstall button of the add on to be grayed out. Uninstallation of the add on requires manual registry changes.

The .net framework is perhaps the most dangerous vulnerability of IE Explorer, as it allows websites to manipulate your system without admin privileges. It is a developer tool that has no business anywhere near a user's system. Some time ago I stated here that one should accept all security updates from Microsoft via automatic update. Evidently, Microsoft has made that advice incorrect in their arrogance. For Microsoft to alter an unrelated and competitive application doesn't bode well for their reputation nor do anything to garner public trust. In light of this obvious and blatant display of entitlement I would suggest that all Microsoft updates be individually installed only after careful examination and research.

More details can be found here:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securi ... insta.html
yeah.. I had actually done an update the other day because something wasn't working right, forget what.. but I had the add-on its called .net framework something or other

Edit: yeah so apparently this is old news, was new to me, particularly since I just did an update for the first time in months.. but yeah so if anyone else hasnt heard yet.. ^^
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Re: Microsoft Updates Tampered With Firefox...

Post by DemonicSandwich »

I disabled Windows Updates when I got this computer 2 years ago. My reasons are now justified.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
xxpenguinxx

Re: Microsoft Updates Tampered With Firefox...

Post by xxpenguinxx »

On microsofts site they tell you how to uninstall it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/963707
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.