WTF why is norton eating my Apps

Ogrish

WTF why is norton eating my Apps

Post by Ogrish »

Could these Apps have gotten infected or is there code just freaking norton out?

DoorM4n

Re: WTF why is norton eating my Apps

Post by DoorM4n »

I don't use norton because it eats apps for reasons I don't know of. I am not sure whether the apps are coded poorly or what. Try downloading the apps again and then scan them to see if it is the code or a virus.
Remnant! We were the last stand.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

Do what DoorM4n said and re-download the apps and see if Norton anti-virus detects anything again.

Does Norton detect some of the xbins apps as threats for you? I have that issue with a few anti-virus apps.

I never had the best of luck with Norton. It would detect files coming from a freshly deflowered Xbox as threats. It also wouldn't remove some malware that was on my mom's computer although it did point out where the files were located. Don't get me wrong Norton does do it's job but sometimes it's a little picky.
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

I find Norton more of a virus than an anti-virus. It slows computers down more than 80% of the viruses I've seen. :¬_¬:
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Yeah I would go with Avast or AVG or another popular free anti-virus, or pay for one of their subscription versions.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

I use Avira and I love it.
Remnant! We were the last stand.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

I use nothing, and it seems to work...
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

Avast and other free apps are shit compared to norton and mcafee.

While norton is a resourse whore, and often wants to remove my apps, i wouldnt go without it.
After researching the app problem ive found that code in these apps are being seen as malware.

This is after an update i recently recieved.
The most recent MS malicious software removal update has also removed some Halo2 modding apps.

This is a pain in the ass, but norton allows me to restore and make exceptions so they wont be removed again, unless they break other rules such as
autorun, or connecting to internet without being called to do so.

One App i had did have a virus, uber screeshot tool2, it also apperently had a keylogger.
I got this app from updating the old uberscreen shot tool, that i downloaded from halomods back in 2008.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Ogrish wrote:Avast and other free apps are shit compared to norton and mcafee
Not true, actually mcafee and norton are trash, I wouldn't recommend them to anybody, avast has a paid version and I've also heard panda something or other is good. I actually don't run anti-virus at all because I either run Linux, or have a backup of what I need and don't acquire much stuff that could cause a virus.
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

Not trying to argue im just stating facts.
For a while i couldnt afford norton, and so i used avast, so after D/L movies from an unsecure site my pc was trashed.
After buying Norton again i can now D/L from any site without risk, even bearshare, which i dont recomend for you guys not using
good anti virus protection.

P.S. you can get a virus/keylogger/maleware/etc... just from viewing web pages with images and video, there usually in the header, but not always.
Stick that in your browser and surf it! Lol
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Ogrish wrote: P.S. you can get a virus/keylogger/maleware/etc... just from viewing web pages with images and video, there usually in the header, but not always.
Stick that in your browser and surf it! Lol
Yeah if you go to websites using unpatched vulnerabilities in the browser you use and you are logged on as an administrator I guess you can do that, but I like to use browsers without all the extra security holes added.

I'm just saying I would never ever personally pay for macafee, norton most likely not either. I do know both AVG and Avast have paid versions and I've heard they are pretty good on sites where the people discussing it were mostly IT administrators(Slashdot.org) and they all generally thought norton and macafee were garbage. Like I said, I have all my data backed up on my home server and if I do get a virus I just reinstall, but I have never had to do that on this computer. I've been wanting to install linux back on this desktop too and dual boot, but I'll have to wait a week or two til school is out before I have time.