Xbox 360 Issues

Click16

Xbox 360 Issues

Post by Click16 »

So I received a broken Xbox 360 from a friend. When I turn it on it has 3 Red Rings. So I take the Xbox apart, and do the fix (Overheating the GPU which worked with me before) the Xbox 360 runs again, but once I turn it on it loads like normal and in about 30 seconds or so the fan speeds up really high, and the Xbox stops entirely and just shows 2 blinking lights. This apparently means the Xbox is overheating, but the CPU is just warm, while the Gfx has no heat. I'm not expecting you guys to know a definite fix, but any help would be useful. I believe I might have broken a temperature sensor while overheating the Xbox, but please just give me ideas guys. I'm at my wits end. Its is the first Xbox version, with the first Nexgen dashboard, so Idk if I can JTAG it, but I might try. :D
Click16

Re: Xbox 360 Issues

Post by Click16 »

Ok so on further attempts, I do notice the CPU getting quite warm with only about 15 seconds of being powered on.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

IMO it's screwed. I fixed my original one and it lasted me 6 months or so (although my use is quite minimal compared to most gamers). I knew "I got it right" because before it died the colors went into what looked like 256 color mode, then just would show a black screen. After I fixed it, it showed the 256 color mode again, then the fans slowed to very quite and the picture returned to normal. It worked this way (quietest I remember) until right before it died again.
I could have tried to fix it again, but I just caved and bought a slim instead.

The cooking method isn't a long term fix at all...
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

You could try re-flowing the solder using a heat gun :wink:
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

If it's a xenon just throw it out, it's not worth the effort.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

So I went to mr_happy_penguin's house and we removed the CPU and GPU heatsinks, cleared the thermal compound off of them, and attempted to re-flow the solder. I soon figured that I forgot about the fan shroud that helps channel the air through the GPU and CPU heatsinks, so I made a custom one out of cardboard, and now I will use the Xbox normally (minus Xbox live of course) and see if I experience any complications.

Oh and yes it's a Xenon.