Using Telnet to Update Busybox

XZodia
Staff

Using Telnet to Update Busybox

Post by XZodia »

Hey folks, I don't know is this is within anyones knowledge here but I'm trying to update the version of Busybox on this device over telnet/ssh

I'm a bit out of my depth, can anyone help?
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
MickLH

Re: Using Telnet to Update Busybox

Post by MickLH »

Look into SFTP or SCP, copy the binary to the system through one of these mechanisms. You can use a tool like WinSCP or even most FTP programs to connect through SSH. You only need to copy it to the proper directory (/bin, /usr/bin, or /usr/local/bin most likely) and make it executable.

If you are at a linux terminal in the folder with new_busybox and your device IP is ravpower.local, this is roughly the sequence (WARNING: It would be a good idea to upload with a different name first just to test it, don't brick your shit because libraries and minor CPU inconsistencies can be the devil in the details!)

Code: Select all

scp -p ravpower.local:/bin/busybox new_busybox
ssh ravpower.local chmod +x /bin/busybox
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

could you break that down a little more? I'm a bit of a linux noob...
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

If you can connect to it over ssh then you can transfer stuff to that box using sftp(ssh file transfer protocol) with FileZilla or WinSCP. It works basically the same as ftp, so you should be comfortable doing it. I don't know much about BusyBox, but after looking at the wikipedia page it might be as simple as uploading your new version of busybox to /bin/busybox

Good luck