Homemade Wifi Extender

DoorM4n

Homemade Wifi Extender

Post by DoorM4n »

Okay fellas,

My router is up stairs and we get around 45mbs a second when I we are right next to the modem and router. Speedtest.com literally says 45mb download speed. It's the fastest internet I've every used when I am up there. But my wifi adapter only pics up around 500kb to 1mb a second!

I've been searching and searching trying to find a way to boost my signal without modifying the location of the router and without really adjusting its settings.

Any thoughts on how to increase?

What if I connect a copper cable to my wifi adapters antenna and string it closer to my door aka closer to the network source?
Remnant! We were the last stand.
XZodia
Staff

Re: Homemade Wifi Extender

Post by XZodia »

well you can buy things to boost your signal...

DIY jobs are never going to be super successful, I think the best I could suggest would be cut open a tin can and use it like a satalite dish
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

What kind of things can I use to boost my signal that won't attach to the modem or router?

Also, if I get a 5ghz adapter, will that increase my receiving? (my router currently allows 5ghz adapter)
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

it might, if that increases the range of the router?

You could skip out wifi and get a powerline adaptor, which sends a signal through the electrical circuit.
I use powerline adaptors, the're really good.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

OMG, that's ingenius. I've never even heard of those. *must do more research*

Do I have to do anything to the modem or router for it to work?
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

If you have to use wifi you can find someone who has an old Linksys router and set it up as an access point using DD-WRT. Pretty much everyone has one they don't use so finding a buddy with one shouldn't be a problem.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

You don't have to do anything special, they just plug into the wall and talk to the router =)
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Actually, I have an extra wifi router back home. Ill grab it when Im down there.

Will this boost my signal strength? Im worried that because the router will be downstairs and not near the modem/router, I may still pick up the same signal strength.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

You have to boost the signal on both ends. Boosting the signal on just router won't help if you don't do the same on the PC.

You could try making a directional antenna out of foil, in the shape of a bowl, mount it on your router and point it towards where your PC will be. Normally people do this when they have the router on one side of the house and need more signal on the other. I don't know if it will help, but a few sheets of aluminum foil shouldn't be too hard to find.

Using a second router will work but you would need two that support DD-WRT in order for it to work properly. The DD-WRT firmware can increase the wifi power output on some routers, but for both to have a good signal they would both need to have the same high power output.

For best performance and simplicity I think you are better off with a power line adapter. You already are going to use an outlet for a second router anyway.
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

I use the poor man can method, which is cut the top off a pepsi can, cut a rectangle out of one side near the bottom of the can and just big enough for your wireless usb adaptor to fit in, put usb wifi adaptor in approx 1 inch, and aim the open barrel end where you need it.

5ghz is only for short range and the wide band, doesn't go thru walls very well.

The wall curcuit thingamabobber sounds good, but ive never tried one.