Detox--In Prison

DoorM4n

Detox--In Prison

Post by DoorM4n »

This is a simple copy and paste from the original Halomods' thread.

http://www.halomods.com/ips/index.php?/ ... ed-holy-f/
Hey everyone,

It's been way too long. Good times here, this place definitely had a part of making me who I am today.

So on topic, today I was viewing various articles on the web. I come across a group of hackers who supposedly stole a hundred million from Microsoft, Epic Games, Valve, and even the US Army. So I am constantly interested in stuff like this and in the article, I come across a line that mentions a David Pokora, the fact he is 22, and lives in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. I continue to read through, then I stop. I actually joked with myself, wouldn't it be something is this was DeToX from way back in HaloMods days when we all messed around, I mean I knew he lived there and I knew he was my age. I brushed it off and decided I would see what HaloMods is up to and if it still existed. Sure enough it is still here, man missed this place. I read through and notice that DeToX went by XeNoN 7 and then Xenomega. So I do a little Googling and come across his account on GitHub. Well I about shit myself when I see in the code of one of his downloads "Copyright © David Pokora 2014". Literally, I got chills. This is a dude I would talk to everyday when I was 14-15 and then we went our own ways. Still shocked I Google his name and his account he goes by. I come across this article. http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2014/ ... _ring.html

I had never seen what he looked like before but there is a mug shot. I could only assume that would be him. I'm still shocked.

Anyone can confirm this is what he looks like or has heard about this?

TL;DR Detox/Xenomega is screwed.

Nice to post here again. The good old days, RIP.
Remnant! We were the last stand.
neodos

Re: Detox--In Prison

Post by neodos »

Damn, that's crazy, I remember Detox from halomods, super smart guy, didn't know he was that young though, shame it had to go that way, these guys have some serious skills, hopefully he can get back on track.
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

Hell. He was a dick though.
neodos

Post by neodos »

Yeah, especially about the tools and other unreleased content, I guess we now know why some at halomods back then were so uptight about not sharing certain tools, or beta game content etc
I thought Detox was only doing Halo modding tools and such.

I am just saying though, its a shame he didn't put those skills to something better, I guess they like the thrill of doing that stuff, I am reading though the legal document which gives more details than the article itself, they went way too far.

Its also scary and surprising to see that every conversation, text, voice chat, the hackers had through VPN and proxies, were somehow recorded and used against them, I just find it incredible, I guess the stories about the NSA recording everything is true, or they were watching them for a long time before they got brought to justice.
You can find multiple quotes of their conversations in that legal document.
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

It doesn't seem like they were very smart about it tbh; not encrypting their conversations about stuff that incriminating is very short-sighted. But yea; it's too bad he went down that road. I actually thought he had a job in the games industry ;\
neodos

Post by neodos »

They sure had it coming, no matter how well they'd protect themselves, reselling data & accounts they stole, planning to steal from paypal accounts and exchanging it for bitcoins to lauder the money, hacking so many big companies etc
I haven't even read a quarter of that document (federal indictment ), some pretty serious stuff :shock:
SikSemper

Post by SikSemper »

Holy shit batman. That's intense, shame to see it happen like that but he was into the wrong kind of stuff. I remember seeing his name all over the place back in the day.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

Yea, its crazy, kornman told me about this a short while back, I was all like whaaaaaaaaaaaat??
They clearly crossed the line and went so far past the line, that they couldn't even see the line =P
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

I don't think I ever spoke to Detox directly, but that's crazy. It's like graduating from school and moving on with your life and then you wonder what everyone's been up to, and then you see things like this. They confidently expected to get away with all of that shit? Amazing.
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

Wow, I knew from past conversations that he was a brilliant and talented kid, Hacking small sites here and there, but this is unexpected to say the least.

Hopefully someone takes notice of there skills and puts them to better use in the future.
Sometimes kids like this end up working for the government Anti-Hacking program, I hope he gets a break.
DarkShallFall

Post by DarkShallFall »

He's finally out, and back home.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

I would say his best move now would be to go to school for Information Assurance, get some certifications on ethical hacking and try to find work at a computer security company. It might be hard convincing people to give you a chance after going to prison for something like this, but Kevin Mitnick and plenty of others have shown it can be done.