The Official Rant Thread

Click16

Re: The Official Rant Thread

Post by Click16 »

Grimdoomer wrote:I lost a lot of backed up files, source code, IDBs, and an old backup of the remnant database I was going to rip a bunch of information out of from back before the forms got f'ed up. I'm doing a sector by sector search for them on the 1tb drive they were on. It's going to take a very, very long time...
Damn. How did this happen? I hope that you recover a significant amount.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Click16 wrote:
Grimdoomer wrote:I lost a lot of backed up files, source code, IDBs, and an old backup of the remnant database I was going to rip a bunch of information out of from back before the forms got f'ed up. I'm doing a sector by sector search for them on the 1tb drive they were on. It's going to take a very, very long time...
Damn. How did this happen? I hope that you recover a significant amount.
Probably because I'm a fucking idiot sometimes. I remember distinctly when I was organizing the backup drive thinking to myself "Hmm, I swear I had a lot more data on here... OH WELL". Then I lost the rem database when I was trying to recover a server and thought I already had a backup on the backup drive.

I'm still working on recovering it. I should know tonight if it's intact or not.

UPDATE: I searched the entire drive for "bumlove" and found 0 results :( I guess that's the end of that...
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

My work laptop is fucked up now. I've noticed bad performance from it the last few months but lately it began hard-soft-locking where task manager wouldn't work, explorer would freeze up, but sounds would keep playing and things would still move on the screen, but the mouse couldn't interact with anything anymore. Never seen this before on a Win 7 machine but whatever. I've got that booted into safe mod with networking hoping it stays running, because I need to use it to bridge the wireless to my main pc now.

Once I get my software unpacked I'll try formatting the drive but I don't know if that's the issue. Maybe its a defective ssd?
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

Domain name settings are so annoying...
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

XZodia wrote:Domain name settings are so annoying...
What's the issue you are having?
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

I have a blogger website and a separate hosted site, that I want to link to the same domain.
so Blogger site is www.mysite.com
and hosted site is something.mysite.com
it would also be good if ftp.mysite.com linked to the ftp for something.mysite.com

the mixture is confusing me...
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

XZodia wrote:I have a blogger website and a separate hosted site, that I want to link to the same domain.
so Blogger site is http://www.mysite.com
and hosted site is something.mysite.com
it would also be good if ftp.mysite.com linked to the ftp for something.mysite.com

the mixture is confusing me...
What you need to do is modify the host records for your domain. I assume your hosted site either has a static IP or has dynamic DNS running?

If it's a static IP you want to create an address record (A record) on your domain and set the hostname to like "hosted", and the IP to the IP address of the server your hosted site is on. If it uses dynamic DNS you want to set the client so it reports back to your domain with its address. Once setup properly it should automatically create an A record for you which you can use in place of "hosted" in the next step.

Then create a CNAME record (Alias record) with the hostname of "something", and the IP/URL set to "hosted.mysite.com.", you may need that trailing "."!

You are also going to want to setup 2 CNAME records, one for "@" and one for "www" which have an IP/URL of "mysite.com.".

As for FTP, I'm not really sure how you would set it up in your case. I would try just creating another CNAME record with the hostname of "ftp" and IP/URL of "hosted.mysite.com." and see if that works. You will obviously need an active ftp server application running and listening on port 21 of the hosted site server.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

Thanks for the help, I got it sorted, and I got ftp working by creating an A record for ftp pointing to the address.

Edit:
And its stopped working...ffs
neodos

Post by neodos »

So I had been working on this trailer for TF2 (for a possible community update) for a few months with other guys, some teamate had it uploaded on youtube as unlisted and someone got a hold of it through an RSS feed exploit -_-
I did the environments, lighting, destruction sequence and the outro stuff too on it.

So it leaked, on the bright side, people seem to like it and I can show it now, some people have reuploaded it to youtube, so we're not trying to stop the "hype":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEQoNph0aUk
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Neodos! That trailer is epic!! Awesome work. I love TF2 and this looks like so much work was put into the video.

who are you in the credits?!
Remnant! We were the last stand.
neodos

Post by neodos »

Thanks! glad you like it, my name is Miguel in the credits ;)
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

I miss being a kid, and I hate the place I work at.
Thrasher Alpha

Post by Thrasher Alpha »

Grimdoomer wrote:I miss being a kid, and I hate the place I work at.
Where's that Grim?
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

I fucked up my xbox while trying to solder in more RAM chips. Now I only have 1.6 consoles. It looks like finding a 1.3 motherboard is going to be difficult. Damn it.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Grimdoomer wrote:I fucked up my xbox while trying to solder in more RAM chips. Now I only have 1.6 consoles. It looks like finding a 1.3 motherboard is going to be difficult. Damn it.
Damn, that sucks. I really considered purchasing and installing RAM Chips into my Xbox. Not only am I afraid I'd fuck something up, but I don't have the equipment to do it properly. I'm not gonna do some half-ass job with a radioshack soldering iron lol
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Click16 wrote:
Grimdoomer wrote:I fucked up my xbox while trying to solder in more RAM chips. Now I only have 1.6 consoles. It looks like finding a 1.3 motherboard is going to be difficult. Damn it.
Damn, that sucks. I really considered purchasing and installing RAM Chips into my Xbox. Not only am I afraid I'd fuck something up, but I don't have the equipment to do it properly. I'm not gonna do some half-ass job with a radioshack soldering iron lol
I was not paying attention when I was doing this, I made so many mistakes I would normally never have made. I'm gunna try to removed the chip and give it another go.

EDIT: I managed to fix my xbox! I had to unsolder the RAM chip and rebuild the LPC port because the tin holes were destroyed, but she boots now!

I have another 1.3 motherboard on the way that I will use for the next attempt at the RAM upgrade. This time I won't make the same stupid mistakes I made last time.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Grimdoomer wrote:I have another 1.3 motherboard on the way that I will use for the next attempt at the RAM upgrade. This time I won't make the same stupid mistakes I made last time.
Best of luck! :D
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Woke up from a nightmare and decided to do some programming. I've been working on a program that will allow you to recover the HDD key from almost any seagate hard drive that is locked, using only the hard drive and a serial port. But I've been having a bitch of a time getting the fucking serial communication to work at higher baud rates.

I tried using the SerialPort class in .NET but I quickly realized that it sucks as far as the underlying communication protocol goes, so using anything other than 9600 baud results in the hard drive not interpreting the messages correctly. I tried using python but it seems like the commands never go through, and debugging the port com doesn't yield anything noticeably wrong, drive receives command and does nothing.

I think the end all solution is to just make imports in C# for the win32 API that will allow me to do all the communication while following all of the standards and handshaking protocols (I'm staring at you SerialPort class :evil: ).

Who knew serial would be so fucking complicated in 2015...
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Grimdoomer wrote:Who knew serial would be so fucking complicated in 2015...
Who knew that people would still be using Serial in 2015 :P
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Click16 wrote:
Grimdoomer wrote:Who knew serial would be so fucking complicated in 2015...
Who knew that people would still be using Serial in 2015 :P
Serial is used in more places than you could imagine. It's still used because of how simple it is and how much you can do with it. From fire alarm panels and enterprise level security systems, to embedded devices and TVs, projectors, and theater systems, to the hard drives that your computer and the servers of the world run on, all use a serial interface or backbone. I don't see serial dying anytime soon.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

Speaking of serial, I'm stuck using an old laptop with Windows XP in work because I need the serial port. Those USB to serial adapters rarely work right, and almost every switch and router use the serial port for troubleshooting and firmware updates.

It also doesn't help that new laptops we get barely have better specs than the 7+ year old ones, and only come with one USB plug... 5400rpm HDD, 2GB RAM, single core, running Windows 7 x32, no serial, no parallel, one USB, and smaller screen.
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Most serial to usb converters use crappy IC's that only support basic RS232 because for what it would cost them for a decent FTDI chip they can build the whole cable. They usually don't support RTS, CTS, or DTR which some devices will use. I think cisco uses CTS but I can't remember anymore.

I'd highly recommend getting an FTDI breakout board and trying that. I built two serial converters, one that is an FTDI and one that is CMOS-TTL level converter. I use them for everything.
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

There's nothing worse than when the stereo Jack on your phone starts to wear out. The annoyance of a loose stereo connector is beyond measure. Fuck, God damn.
Thrasher Alpha

Post by Thrasher Alpha »

I'm not sure if the Pandora coders are incompetent or don't try to bug check their code, or lack potential problem solving capabilities, but I cannot predict how this app will run. If I open it, and press my home button before I can get past the flash screen, it won't run. If I pause it, and start it 15 ~ indef. time later, there is no way to know whether Pandora will close itself or continue playing the song. I've had it paused for 10+ hours and resumed the song, when I have it close much more often after having paused it for 15 minutes. It makes its own rules.

Or how, if I have it initially connected to Bluetooth, and then plug in an auxiliary cable making the Bluetooth headset inactive, and I turn off the headset, Pandora will pause. There is absolutely no reason this should happen. I believe it also happens when I turn off Bluetooth as well.

Especially when my favorite songs come on and I want to resume them after class. What the fuckkkkkkkkkkkk
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

I have lost count of the number of Indians I've tried to talk to through deII support. It's over 10, and this is just from a single issue, which is still not resolved because none of these support reps speak English. I feel like I'm talking to clever bot or something the way they answer me.

I'm calling from a phone located in an English speaking country, and I have 100% US American English accent. Our company is located in the same country and only speak English. Give me a god damn English speaking person.

When I did finally get a 100% English speaking person, their email system stopped working so I had to be put on hold, and then got yet another Indian.

If I owned this company I'd blacklist deII as a company to purchase from for the next 20 years.

I'm using II instead of ll so Google doesn't think I'm promoting them.

EDIT:

Sent them another email because I never got the return label for a part that needs to be sent back. Well, I got a reply. They said they need a dispatch number. I gave them the dispatch number over the phone to 3 different people working on this case, and somehow none of them added it to the case.
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.