Soffish Developer Diaries I

This is the forum where the news goes...
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Soffish Developer Diaries I

Post by JacksonCougar »

I know that these past few months is has seemed like Soffish has simply been forgotten by me: that I have stopped working on Soffish. This however is not the case.

Soffish started out as a very simple program on par with Entity, and it lacked the depth of code to ever be something better. What was released back a few months ago was a code base that borrowed strongly from Xzodia's classes. Most of the work that went into the beta of Soffish was towards the GUI, and not towards the code-base that ran everything.

Therefore I decided that I needed to shift my focus away from the GUI, and towards the real meat and potatoes of Soffish: thus was born SoffishLib. SoffishLib is a code-base programmed almost from the ground up: although some ideas and classes have been evolved from Xzodias original code-base. The focus on this new code-base has been on three major goals: Speed, Efficiency, and Correctness. I have been taking my time on this new code-base because I wanted to avoid the pitfalls that many other have ran into: I did not want to create another sub-par Entity. I have taken my time to code methods to be as fast as possible, given my limited knowledge of programming, while maintaining as small a footprint in memory as I can. The last goal, the goal of correctness, has taken me the longest to realize. I have taken care that while programming I have not taken shortcuts, or made too many assumptions about how the .map structure works. I focus my efforts on making sure that under a wide spectrum of possible outcomes my code will be able to correctly handle any possibilities.

SoffishLib as it stands today is nearing completion of all major functionality, and I will soon be ready to move onto more GUI/Application work based upon the SoffishLib library.
OwnZ joO

Re: Soffish Developer Diaries I

Post by OwnZ joO »

That's how I usually work, I don't like working on GUI so I save that for last. I try not to bloat my programs, but I never worked on efficiency like xbox7887 and his optimizations for resigning. As far as correctness, I just go with what I've see and known, no research on my own most of the time lol. Sounds promising, will it be an open source library(GPL?)?