Halo Reach: Beta, Thoughts?

JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Halo Reach: Beta, Thoughts?

Post by JacksonCougar »

So who has the Halo Reach beta? What are you favorite maps? What are your favorite weapons? What do you love, what do you hate?
Gary

Re: Halo Reach: Beta, Thoughts?

Post by Gary »

I will hopefully be getting it sunday, from the media I have seen it looks quite awesome. I assume you have it Cougar, what do you think of it?
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

Well I can't stand it personally. For me, with all the added gameplay mechanics, it start to feel a whole lot less like Halo, and more like the generic FPS crap everybody is pumping out now or days. The loadouts are a pain in the ass...god forbid you hit a wrong button in the heat of battle right after your killed...next thing u know...ooooops...thats not the loadout I wanted. The weapons play like utter crap, even for a beta. The needle rifle is horrible, the dmr is weak and shoots very slow...even the grenade throw is terrible. The one redeeming feature is the maps. Although they only givve you 3 to play on as far as I know, at least I have only ever had a chance to play on 3 of them. Sword Base.......very confusing, the Invasion map.....very confusing because of it's size, and the one with the hydro plant...can't remember it's name. That map is very fun and easy to navigate. All the maps are littered with detail, and look very sexy. Another thing that bugs me about the beta which I hope they fix....if you rapidly hit the melee button trying to get a last minute kill and the enemy happens to turn to the right, sometimes you go into the assassination sequence....real bummer when you got 3 guys ganging on you,......makes you an instant sitting duck.
neodos

Post by neodos »

I think its pretty good, the weapons are well balanced, most people just don't get used to it because its quite different from all the other halo's and i guess they just don't go to pick the best eapons when the match starts :lol: but it needed some evolution anyway.

Can't say which is my fav map there's only 3, but it gets boring too often, maybe because there's not many choices.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

Personally, I love the beta, it's so much better than Halo 3 and I think the release version will be better than Halo 2.
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

xzodia wrote:Personally, I love the beta, it's so much better than Halo 3 and I think the release version will be better than Halo 2.
That's a bold statement.
Being better than Halo 2 will be a high bar for them to Reach.

I accidentally made two puns...
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

The weapons suck......they are not very recognizable. At least in all 4 previous titles...you could tell what weapon was which, now you really can't because of the makeovers. Not to mention, the moving of the buttons. For the first hour I played it, I couldn't figure out why "A" wasn't letting me melee anyone...or how to swap weapons. I am not one for having to re-learn button defaults, and I don't always go thru the menu options....shouldn't have to, since the layout of buttons never drastically changed for any of the titles. More importantly, why is the Gravity Hammer in the game? Are they re-writing history again, and now placing Brutes on Reach? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Brute's introduced the Covenant to the Gravity Hammer yes? And the Brutes did not make an appearance till Halo 2, when the Elites failed to protect the Alpha Halo...or whatever stupid greek name they called it. The maps are very good though...no complaints there. Visually they are stunning, and the ambient sounds and lighting are top notch! Nothing will ever be at the same level as H2 multiplayer. That's just a cold hard fact. The gametypes are very interesting...but noone ever plays koth....that's sad. Playing Stockpile and Covie Slayer gets way to boring. They should have introduced more gametypes, so they could at least get a full feedback on about 85% of the multiplayer experience. But then again, I guess that's what internal Beta testers are for?
neodos

Post by neodos »

Twin, are you aware of something called paragraphs? would help reading your rants :lol:
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

Sorry

about

that

Neodos......

LMAO!
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

I like the New attributes, like: inv, jetpack, runfast, and the shield, but....Now begins the rant.

The shield powerup thing is to slow to activate and come out of.
The invis sucks, and is way to visable.
Run fast, well while running to my doom is fun, the sided to side is to slow.
I actually like the jet pack.
The kill from behind melea is to slow, while i ripped some spine out feeling all cool and shit, someone melea'd me 3 times, the spinerip wasnt so cool after that.

And the weapons! shit i cant find em on map, they seem to camo to the maps, i never know what i got till i shoot it, and some are just weak. Asault rifle wins em all everytime.
Needle sniper weapon is gay, wannabe BR with single shot sucks too.
maps however look to be done very well, and its about time they made the Bipds different.
It always bugged me that arbitur was same as MC, same speed, same jump, same hieght.
They finally seperated the two, so theres a reason to try playing both characters.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

Ogrish you need to do what I did, for a few games don't play just go around the map and pay attention to where things are.
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Would be nice if I had someone to play with on pnet...
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

XD
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

I could go all day with what I love, and the few things I dislike about this game so far, but that'll take too long. :|

My thoughts on the weapons:
  • Assault Rifle: is rather nicely improved compared to Halo 3's. It's possible to kill someone with less than a whole clip now. I dislike, however, the flow of the ammo meter (why vertical?) ...
  • Pistol: is lovely. At the moment, it's one of the weapons that I want to pick up when looking for new weapons. Certainly my favorite out of the Halo games (that's right: Reach > CE).
  • DMR: I feel, is a very nice addition to the game. Its accuracy is severely affected when spamming the trigger, but makes up for it in close-range battles. It's really different from the BR, which pleases me, and isn't always a weapon you'd want to pick up unless you enjoy being a marksman. It almost brings back that Halo CE feel, where there was a severe lack of semi-automatic weapons.
  • Sniper Rifle: is lovely, and wonderful, and I hate nothing about it.
  • Rocket Launcher: is basically the same. The end.
  • Grenade Launcher: needs to die. Seriously, fuck this. You'd expect it to function a lot like the Halo 2 Brute Shot, but instead, the grenades bounce a much farther distance than they should before detonating. This leads it to really only being effective in close spaces and/or with direct hits.
  • Spartan Laser: now only holds enough charge for four shots. Something about it, however, just doesn't feel the same. I can't put my finger on it ...
    ---------------
  • Plasma Repeater: is a great replacement for the Plasma Rifle. :| Seriously. It's very similar to the AR, but it takes out the shield much quicker than its human counter-part. I also like how you can cool it down just like you reload any weapon. I like this gun. Pick it up.
  • Plasma Pistol: is a legitimate weapon now! It does things! The charged shot is very close to that of Halo CE's, which causes area-of-effect damage, thus harming the enemy's health as well as depleting the shields. Though a little ugly now, it feels much heavier of a weapon, and really isn't that nooby anymore: the tracking isn't as ridiculous, and it can be easy to dodge the charged shots.
  • Needle Rifle: functions very similar to the Carbine, and is more accurate than the DMR. It almost feels like the new BR replacement with its extremely easy-to-use handling, but it's a little weak. If the enemy's shields are depleted, and you can't pull off a headshot, just send three shots into the body, and a super combine explosion will take place. It's very effective.
  • Needler: though it seems over-powered, it really makes up for it with its lack of auto-aim. The needles won't track unless the crosshair is red, and a super combine explosion won't take effect until after the shields are depleted (same with its rifle cousin). It also holds more ammo: a clip of twenty-four needles.
  • Focus Rifle: is going to turn into a noob weapon. Seriously. It overheats really quickly, but is very over-powered. This, combined with the jetpack, is rather deadly. Being a power weapon, I suggest you take it as soon as you can, because it is very annoying to get shot with this thing.
  • Plasma Launcher: is a nice weapon. The longer you charge it, the faster and more plasma bolts you fire. Though it only locks on to one enemy/vehicle at a time, it has plenty of area-of-effect damage, which can take out multiple enemies. If you see the shots coming, it is possible to avoid them with a well-timed sprint/jetpack burst/etc.
  • Energy Sword: is very close to, if not 100% the same as, the Halo 3 sword. Now, if you find yourself face-to-face with an enemy wielding a sword, you can force the enemy's swing back if you time your melee to match with theirs, thus lowering the amount of damage you take. With the addition of sprinting, the sword is now a very dangerous weapon.
  • Gravity Hammer: is basically the same.
Did I miss something?
Prey

Post by Prey »

pretty poor game if you ask me, just feels like some arcade shooter where everything is just way over the top.. just reminds me of a crazy halo 2 mod. I got bored after 2 games, don't think i'll be buying...
Eaton

Post by Eaton »

Been so busy with school and C# that I only got to play one match. From what I played, I loved it. I won't write a paragraph like Twin did, but I'll provide more feedback when I play it offline in the coming weeks.