MeshLab

DoorM4n

MeshLab

Post by DoorM4n »

MeshLab is an open source, portable, and extensible system for the processing and editing of unstructured 3D triangular meshes.
The system is aimed to help the processing of the typical not-so-small unstructured models arising in 3D scanning, providing a set of tools for editing, cleaning, healing, inspecting, rendering and converting this kind of meshes.
The system is heavily based on the VCG library developed at the Visual Computing Lab of ISTI - CNR, for all the core mesh processing tasks and it is available for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux. . The MeshLab system started in late 2005 as a part of the FGT course of the Computer Science department of University of Pisa and most of the code (~15k lines) of the first versions was written by a handful of willing students. The following years FGT students have continued to work to this project implementing more and more features.
This project is actively supported by the 3D-CoForm project.
Other projects that have previously supported MeshLab are listed here.

Original Website Here

Download the latest Meshlab V1.3.0a

Footnote: With this program, one can easily take a high poly model and convert it to low poly.

Tutorial on How to Convert High Poly Model to Low Poly:
1. Open MeshLab and Import your Mesh
2. Select Filter and Scroll Down to Remeshing, Simplification, and Reconstruction
3. Then as the sub window appears, Select Quadric Edge Collapse Decimation
4. Make sure Optimal Position of Simplified Vertices is Checked.
5. Also make sure Point-Simplification Cleaning is Checked.
6. Where it says Quality Threshold, type 1.0
7. Where it says Target Number of Faces, make number anything lower than that. Then Click Apply.
8. If you don't like your outcome, restart the process and find a digit you like in the Target Number of Faces location.
9. It may take 3ds Max to Cap some of the holes, too, if you have any--or you can use this program, but I don't know how to cap holes yet.
10. Export and Done!

P.S. It has worked well for me and makes model file sizes much smaller and most of the time I don't create holes in my models.
Remnant! We were the last stand.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Re: MeshLab

Post by troymac1ure »

Cool. Looking through the site shows some Interesting abilities. If I modelled this would definitely be a huge bonus. Maybe down the road I'll come back to this post...
Ogrish

Re: MeshLab

Post by Ogrish »

To close holes, Select Filter and Scroll Down to Remeshing, Simplification, and Reconstruction, the select close holes.
When the box opens up choose max size holes you want to close, this is good for if your model is terrain with a hole for a lake, you can close small holes and not the lake.