Team Specific Map Default weapons?

Shadow07

Team Specific Map Default weapons?

Post by Shadow07 »

Is it possible? I'm wanting to do a hunter team vs. buggers type mod and I don't want the hunters to have to go pick up the particle cannon every time they spawn.
CaptainPoopface

Re: Team Specific Map Default weapons?

Post by CaptainPoopface »

I don't think it's possible formally, but I can think of a couple hacks for it. 1, attach a turret to the biped, and have its primary scale set to primary or secondary trigger down. The drawback with this approach is that the weapon can't be dropped, and ammo is infinite (I think - Xzodia, is this true?). 2, have some bizarre jmad spawn the weapon via an attached effect. For example, jump crouch melee. So each type of biped can produce its weapon at any time. That obviously has its own downside too. There may be other ways, such as spawning all bipeds right on top of their weapon. If you need more explanation of what I've suggested, let me know.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Well, I know that you can set a biped's starting weapon, at least this is true for Campaign, maybe setting the starting weapons in the matg to null, will allow the Bipd starting weapons to take over. Idk, try it maybe.
Shadow07

Post by Shadow07 »

CaptainPoopface wrote:1, attach a turret to the biped, and have its primary scale set to primary or secondary trigger down. The drawback with this approach is that the weapon can't be dropped, and ammo is infinite (I think - Xzodia, is this true?).
Can you talk about this one a little more? The drawbacks don't bother me in the slightest. I hate to ask for a full tutorial, but anything to point me in the right direction is incredibly helpful. I don't have much experience with modding bipds.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

CaptainPoopface wrote:I don't think it's possible formally, but I can think of a couple hacks for it. 1, attach a turret to the biped, and have its primary scale set to primary or secondary trigger down. The drawback with this approach is that the weapon can't be dropped, and ammo is infinite (I think - Xzodia, is this true?).
I'm afraid I don't know its not something I've ever tried, but I sounds like it would be constantly firing?
Click16 wrote:Well, I know that you can set a biped's starting weapon, at least this is true for Campaign, maybe setting the starting weapons in the matg to null, will allow the Bipd starting weapons to take over. Idk, try it maybe.
This would be my suggestion. Except I'm fairly sure the starting weapon is in Scnr. If there is no starting weapon the Bipd should automatically pick up any weapon, and thus if you attach a weapon to the Bipd, it should pick up that weapon.

Don't have time for a full tut just now, but maybe someone else can flesh this out:

Add a chunk to / redirect to another reflexive, the weapons reflexive of the Bipd.
Set the weapon to the weapon you want the Bipd to have (particle cannon).
Remove all chunks from the starting equipment reflexive in Scnr, (set chunk count to 0)

I recommend testing this on MC first to make sure it works, as using the Hunter could cause problems.
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
CaptainPoopface

Shadow07 wrote:
CaptainPoopface wrote:1, attach a turret to the biped, and have its primary scale set to primary or secondary trigger down. The drawback with this approach is that the weapon can't be dropped, and ammo is infinite (I think - Xzodia, is this true?).
Can you talk about this one a little more? The drawbacks don't bother me in the slightest. I hate to ask for a full tutorial, but anything to point me in the right direction is incredibly helpful. I don't have much experience with modding bipds.

If you look in the bipd tag, the chief has a reflexive called Attachments, which contains effects related to shield charging. Clone another chunk here or just swap one of the existing attachments to the vehi of one of the turrets. Change the attachment marker to flashlight. When you spawn as the chief, he will have a turret sticking out of his flashlight.
I think the turret attaches at its ground point marker, so change that in the mode tag so it looks less goofy, or just null the shaders in the model. Then in the vehi tag for the turret, there is a flag something like "gunner controlled by parent" that means the turret will aim where the biped is looking. And in the weap tag for the turret weapon, check the box that says "fires from camera" and change the projectile, rate of fire, etc. to what you want.

Hope that helps. I have done it before, so I know it works.
Last edited by CaptainPoopface on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

You can't use that reflexive for attaching objects.

You have to do it through the hlmt.
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
CaptainPoopface

XZodia wrote:You can't use that reflexive for attaching objects.

You have to do it through the hlmt.
Hmmm, you may be right. Been awhile since I attached stuff to a biped.