BSP convo black screens after rebuild.

nullen

BSP convo black screens after rebuild.

Post by nullen »

I attempted a BSP conversion a little while ago and the rebuild in H2core was a success. However, when I try playing the map the game freezes with a black screen. Was this a faulty rebuild and should I just try rebuilding it again?
bumlove

Re: BSP convo black screens after rebuild.

Post by bumlove »

Yeah, it can be tricky with doing conversions. H2C&G can be sketch. Where does it black screen?
It could be a sound issue.
nullen

Post by nullen »

I get the black screen when the game countdown ends and the map loads.
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

I have seen this when the bipd tag is corrupt, when there is no valid place to spawn (e.g., all spawns are inside a solid block of bsp), or the biped you chose is not in the map. Can you try the other biped in your player profile?
nullen

Post by nullen »

CaptainPoopface wrote:...e.g., all spawns are inside a solid block of bsp...
Would the game have a black screen if other objects are in the geometry? I moved all of the player spawns to an area in the bsp.
bumlove

Post by bumlove »

No problem with objects but player spawns if even only slightly go through the BSP can cause your problem, the best way to go would be try the conversion again with a different base map.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Hey Nullen, I had this problem several times. If it's a black screen then you may want to null all of the environmental sounds, like bumlove said. Also, do keep in mind there are some conversions that won't work, so you may get freezing issues because you are trying to convert an nonconvertible bsp. What bsp are you converting?
Remnant! We were the last stand.
nullen

Post by nullen »

deltaapproach_01 I think.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Null the sounds. I remember having that problem on that exact bsp. Go to the BSP dependencies and null all lsnd. Do the same in the scnr tag.
nullen

Post by nullen »

Alright, I got all the lsnds nulled out and FTP'd the map to my xbox. I'll report back when I try running the map.

edit: Dammit, the map still black screens.
bumlove

Post by bumlove »

Ah I had a thought, if the game gets to black screen it means the map is good but some resource is missing, do you play as MC or as a gay dinosaur?
I rememberer delta approach is a MC single player map so if you play as a gay dinosaur this would cause such problems. Having said that delta approach has only been released once. There are some issues with this map.

Oh poopface already asked.... :oops:
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

bumlove wrote:if the game gets to black screen it means the map is good but some resource is missing
That is incorrect, it could mean some resource is missing or corrupt, yes, but it can also mean many, many things. Such as you have corrupt bsp data, runtime debug values are set where they shouldn't be, player spawns could be wedged into the bsp, some meta value could be skewed, etc etc. Having your map black screen basically means the structure is good enough for the game to load it into memory and setup the world. You map can still be far from working.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
bumlove

Post by bumlove »

Grimdoomer wrote:
bumlove wrote:if the game gets to black screen it means the map is good but some resource is missing
That is incorrect,.....Having your map black screen basically means the structure is good enough for the game to load it into memory and setup the world.
That's what I meant.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

There is probably a patch in the downloads forum here or in the old Halomods archives of exactly what you are wanting. I'm procrastinating a bit right now--and looking at the moment would be taking procrastination to an entirely new level---so I'll look when I'm done if you haven't found it by then. :D