Underwater fog research

xXF3RcHoXx

Underwater fog research

Post by xXF3RcHoXx »

So, XZodia and me were messing with some values and we finally figured out how does underwater fog works:
It is contained within offset 116 inside the BSP tag, if you got a mapped out plugin, it would be "Fog Planes" reflexive, it actually is just a plane, it starts out somewhere and then goes in infinitely.ijkd values define the origin.

It is also linked to a [fog ] tag (a [fpch] would not work) in the scenario.

This is the fog plane (raised water up so you can actually see it)

This is fog plane, raised up: (edited thickness so you can actually see through it)

Raised fog plane plus water (still edited thickness):

Water with fog from above:

So what's next? Import it to another map and make it spawn (already trying)

Sweet shit, huh?

Credits to:
Xzodia - Plugin + Research (+ he edited H2Guerilla to include Fog Planes, check out DL's)
Me: Research? (more like random scattered speculations and clues) and testing
Click16: Abide (poked [fog] and [sbsp] with his app
We are the last stand.
Aumman Anubis wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how a cat grooming defeats a failing economy.
DoorM4n

Re: Underwater fog research

Post by DoorM4n »

Right on man, good to hear yall found out how to do it!!
Remnant! We were the last stand.
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

Long ago, during the before time, shade45 made a little calculator program that would update some value buried deep in the map, based on the map magic number, and then you could do some manual subtraction and find what address to set a hex value, and it would be the height of water on your map. It might have only worked on maps that already had water, but I think I used it to put water on Ascension. It did not have the fog, but maybe it could help your research. I might have the utility somewhere, but I don't think I have the instructions for it. See if you can find it in the halo mods archive.

Edit: If you want an easier fog plane, just spawn a big bloc with a transparent shader and make the top of it be the same height as the water.
xXF3RcHoXx

Post by xXF3RcHoXx »

Yeah that would be an artificial fog plane, but you couldn't go underwater and see it like in the pictures, you would just stand over it

As for water level, you can set the level of it with retail entity's plugins, in the BSP there's a "Water level" value, you put the Z coord to define height, althought it would be interesting to see that app you say
We are the last stand.
Aumman Anubis wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how a cat grooming defeats a failing economy.
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

I did this on headlong along time ago, but never could change the RGB value of the fog plane, and i couldnt get the thickness right.
nice work