Map Size Limit

DoorM4n

Map Size Limit

Post by DoorM4n »

Y'all getting sick of my threads here yet? Yes? Great! Here's another! :P

Ive reached my multiplayer map size limit--which I think is around 85mbs. When I attempt to load, it says "Failed to Load map." There is a tool that changes the identity of your map from multiplayer to either singleplayer, shared, mainmenu, or single player shared. Ive used this tool and the only one that allows my map to load is when I select singleplayer. But there is a huge problem with me doing this. Almost all of my netgame equipment don't spawn (three of fifty do) and some weapon properties are strange when they do spawn.

Now, here is the weird part. When Fercho uses H2core, he has never had a mapsize limit issue like I have. He has made 120mb maps without the problems I have. But this is with H2core. I am not using H2core, and I think h2core may be allowing this increase.

Does anyone have any knowledge on either of these issues? I am looking to add custom sounds to my map, but the sound injection will be postponed indefinitely if I can't get it working. Thanks again for all the help y'all. Y'all are awesome.
Remnant! We were the last stand.
XZodia
Staff

Re: Map Size Limit

Post by XZodia »

Well my understanding is that the "map size limit" is controlled by the map type enum in the scnr.
Which is the same maptype enum which I change to multiplayer in Mystery, and results in loading maps which are like 200mb...

So I think there is a bit more to it...
Have you tried running yelo/ai in mp trainer?
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Yup, I do primarily test with Yelo and AI in MP on.
xXF3RcHoXx

Post by xXF3RcHoXx »

Just for informationz, I checked the enum16 thingy on Deep Freeze and it's still a Multiplayer map, and is 100.3 MB.
We are the last stand.
Aumman Anubis wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how a cat grooming defeats a failing economy.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

It may have to do with the map size enum in the header of the map file. I know the xbe checks the enum and the file size, and then determines if the file size is appropriate for that map type.

DoorM4n, open your map in a hex editor, go to offset 320 (decimal) and change that byte from 1 to zero. See if that will allow you to load the map.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

This can also be done through entity, but it was added long ago and is buggy in the steps you have to take and you need the head.ent plugin.
If you have the plugin, hit F7 or open ME1. Then click on "Info" to sort tags by offsets, not name, then click on "Header" at the very top. Then just change the Map Type from "1: Multiplayer" to "0: Single Player".
The plugin will show all the values in the header section, but it does not work with ME2 and you must have ME1 open BEFORE clicking on it.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Thanks Grim and Troy, Ill check that. Also, let me inform you that I have scanned my map in UberAnalyzeTool and I have a hole in Offset 0x0 aka the header. How that happened, I have no fucking clue, but I wonder if that may play a role in my mapsize being read properly.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

What type of data was it that had the hole? Does it say?
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Holy shit, two of my holes got fixed somehow. I didnt do anything but fix system link with different programs. Wow. Okay so I dont have a header hole anymore. I havent had a chance to do any modding in the last two days. Ill test some stuff out as soon as I can.