Loading Halo2 on Harddrive with Update without Trainer

Post by nintendo9713 »

On my Xbox, I have:
  • Halo 2
    Halo 2 Killtrocity
    Halo 2 Killtrocity 2
    Halo 2 Phantom
    Halo 2 Phantom 2

and so on, and so forth. I would really like to have my legit Halo 2 copy updated (to remove horrible split screen text & fix melee / pistol damage), you know, make it play like it did circa 2006 Xbox Live, but of course not for the modded maps.

I know there's a trainer option, but I didn't know if there was a setup I could use (something with the default.xbe) that could load the update only for the legit Halo 2 that only uses the launching of the game and not a trainer.

Any ideas?
XZodia
Staff

Re: Loading Halo2 on Harddrive with Update without Trainer

Post by XZodia »

You can just delete the update files from your Tdata folder.
But in doing so, you won't have access to the dlc maps.
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
nintendo9713

Post by nintendo9713 »

I don't actually have the DLC in the U/TDATA folders, I added them to the main menu myself and they all reside in the core maps directory. I have the Halo 2 Multiplayer Mappack disc so I could install it, but I don't want to mess up the Killtrocity Phantom mappacks (unless something in their default.xbe is blocking the update without using a trainer).

I'm under the impression that the update is loaded from the U/TDATA folders, which is used across all Halo 2 mappacks so you can't 'pick & choose'. It's not "too big" of a deal, but I'm having a LAN next Friday and having the update + mappacks would be super neat.

Any ideas?
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

I'm confused, I thought you didnt want the update?

I you do want it, I think you can just replace the standard xbe with the update xbe.
nintendo9713

Post by nintendo9713 »

Wrong, I DO want the update, but only under my legit Halo 2 copy on hard drive.

You can just rename update.xbe to default.xbe and put it in the halo 2 folder you want updated?

I have
F:/Games/Halo 2
F:/Games/Halo 2 Killtrocity
F:/Games/Halo 2 Phantom

I want my legit Halo 2 to have the update, but I thought the update is installed in the U/TDATA folders and therefore Killtrocity/Phantom would attempt to load the update making the modded maps unplayable, unless you use a trainer to "Disable update". I didn't know if there's a way to only have update on one copy without using Yelo to enable / disable update.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

Yea, you should be able to just rename update.xbe to default.xbe and put it in the halo 2 folder.

And if you then delete it from your tdata the rest will use the standard xbe.
nintendo9713

Post by nintendo9713 »

I think there's a small misunderstanding. I'm about to host a LAN so the dream is to load vanilla Halo 2 with the updates, then immediately switch to Phantom / Killtrocity without removing the TDATA folder or launching a trainer. Is that possible?
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

XZodia wrote:Yea, you should be able to just rename update.xbe to default.xbe and put it in the halo 2 folder.

And if you then delete it from your tdata the rest will use the standard xbe.
This.

Step 1: Replace Vanilla default.xbe with update.xbe
Step 2: Delete update.xbe etc from tdata
Step 3: Play Vanilla Halo 2 (with updates)
Step 4: Play other Halo 2 (without updates)
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Don't forget to play Skyline and New Mombasa by XZodia!!! :P :P :lol:
Remnant! We were the last stand.
nintendo9713

Post by nintendo9713 »

Worked perfectly XZodia! Legit H2 says 1.5 now, and nothing is in the TDATA folder.

Already got skyline/ tortuga / jurassic creek in queue, New Mombosa looked like it was an AI level so I didn't think it would really work for LAN / System Link (without a trainer to enable AI). Without AI is it still the mod still 'playable' as in not too much open space / not enough going on?

Doorm4n, since I somewhat have your attention, in Tortuga, how are you supposed to get up the dock / island area? I only found one crouch jump but I feel like you had something else planned that I overlooked. At the little bridge into the water, theres a rock with a slant I jumped on and walked up. That's the only way I found up.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Haha, excellent! I was just teasing you tho. But, glad to hear you'll be playing some.

You might have some SLC problems with Tortuga, honestly. Toward the end, that map got chewed up pretty badly. There are some processes that I have learned recently that I should not have done in that map but should have rather injected them into the map. I think I was struggling with map size limits--as usual. Anyhow, go to the right side of the dock, and there is a slight incline to bring you around to right of the castle or you can jump on the rock and go to the gate. Hope that helps. Basically, that rock is essential. :lol:

If you would like, I can give you a beta of a map Im going to release called the Coliseum. There are a lot of pictures in the Halo Photography. This way you can remove Tortuga (because its not SLC) and replace with something playable. Just let me know, and the patch is yours. I have one minor thing to do to the map and im releasing it.
Last edited by DoorM4n on Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Remnant! We were the last stand.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

I'm not sure why your so against running a Trainer?

However, you might like The Temple viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2333
It's designed for competitive multiplayer and if necessary, I could take the AI out of it?
nintendo9713

Post by nintendo9713 »

I don't have tech suave friends, and when I do get them together for a LAN they get stupid drunk before hand and if I told them to enable launch the trainer it would be a big deal for 4 xboxes to do that (and I don't think any of them are big on AI mods). Due to the mass amount of mappacks (killtrocity, phantom, remapped, 3volved, etc), we do quick Team slayer matches to 25 or 15 depending on amount of people so we can shotgun as many maps possible. And that's just Halo 2, not all the Halo 1 mods, so AI just seems like a big hassle :|
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

It doesn't seem terribly hard to start 4 trainers locally and then be set for the rest of the night. I agree most AI mods have been ill-suited for multiplayer, not least because the AI were out of their natural element (i.e, stupid). But XZodia has made tremendous strides in this department by effectively putting multiplayer into campaign maps, as opposed to the other way around.

Not to give you a hard time. Play what you want and enjoy it. Just letting you know a new day has dawned on modding!

@XZodia, couldn't you remove the AI with the trainer also, or would that result in motionless NPCs? I'm contemplating several mods on the same map, with and without AI.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

CaptainPoopface makes a good point, you can load the trainer before everyone arrives, and so long as you dont turn off the xbox, the trainer will continue to run.
Just remember to soft reset (both triggers + start + back) if your switching games.

CaptainPoopface wrote:@XZodia, couldn't you remove the AI with the trainer also, or would that result in motionless NPCs? I'm contemplating several mods on the same map, with and without AI.
As far as I recall, the game just freezes if you try to load a AI map without a trainer.
I guess it might be possible to solve the freezing with a trainer, but I don't see that happening somehow...

However, you might be able to find a work around like having a machine that spawns only for certain gametypes, and the AI only spawns if the machine spawns.
But you would need to be really good at scripting...
nintendo9713

Post by nintendo9713 »

I had no idea that if you soft reset, the trainer stays enabled?

I'm going to test it myself tonight to be sure, but I can launch Xored, Yelo, enable AI, load a map, soft reset, then launch another mod from the Game list? Neat!

Although, on average we have about 5 xbox freezes per LAN, (something goes wrong, mostly Halo 1 mods though), but some H2 mod froze last night in split screen for me so it can still _happen_.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

Yea, soft resetting works, but don't use Yelo use the trainer included in The Temple's download.
Yelo disables the scoreboard (breaking multiplayer) The Temple's trainer does not.
nintendo9713

Post by nintendo9713 »

Just downloaded that trainer from temple, launched phantom v2 (randomly chosen) with trainer (there were no options, so I just hit start), I soft reset (start back left /right stick), loaded H2 AI Revision, but no AI. Did I miss something ~_~ ?
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

Hmm maybe it only works if you launch the same xbe...
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

Yelo stays enabled on soft reset, even when loading different xbe's, at least for me. The options are sticky, too.